Oaking a Barolo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

errica

Reaction score
I just made my first wine from a kit, a Barolo. I've been brewing beer, cider and meads for a couple years now and decided to give wine a try. So far I am loving it.

Here is my question: The kit didn't come with any wood to age the wine on, it's meant to be a "4 week kit", but I plan on bulk aging it for a few months at least. Should I throw some oak in there? Will it improve the wine?

Is it a Vino Italiano kit? If you have some oak, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to happen to it.

Yes, it is a Vino Italiano kit. If I do decide to add some oak, how much/how long would you suggest?

IMHO, Nebbiolo grape wouldn't taste to good with oak flavor. The tartness of the grape may taste off with much oak.
Keep in mind I know nothing of wine making, but I do like the Piedmont wines.

"Modern winemakers tend to favor smaller barrels of new oak that need only a couple years to soften the tannic grip of the wines. While new oak imparts notes of vanilla, it has the potential to cover up the characteristic rose notes of Nebbiolo." - Wiki posting

Thinking new oak barrel no more than two mo then rack back out..oak chips maybe one mo...

Sounds like an excuse for a Barolo tasting!

Anyhow, Barolo is sort of the epicenter of the Italian to oak or not to oak debate. I prefer the neutral oak, austere, tar/floral style which takes some time to come into it's own. A bit of new French oak will smooth it out more quickly. What really determines the character of Nebbiolo, like all wines, is the ripeness at which it was picked. This is something you of course can't control, I'd say a riper, more concentrated juice can take a bit of new oak, while a lower Brix calls for considerably less or no oak.

Back