15 Gallon SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been waiting for the weather to get cooler so that i could use the conical i bought early this year. Brewed with some friends yesterday and we finally have our first 15 gallon batch on the way!

Recipe:
30 lbs Vienna Malt (mash at 148-150°F)
2.5 oz of Northern Brewer (7% AA) @ 60 min
2 oz of Northern Brewer (7% AA) @ 20 min
2 oz of Northern Brewer (7% AA) @ flameout
3 packs of Nottingham yeast

1.jpg

First time i've used pH stabilizer in a brew.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Strike water ready at 160°F for mash in. We actually had to stir it for a while to get it down...only lost about 7°F when adding the grains.

4.jpg

stirring the grains in, we had zero head room. perfect.

5.jpg

After we hit temp at 150°F, we covered and let it sit for about an hour and a half, stirring a few times. It dropped 2°F on the thermometer in this time which is what i expected. we want it nice and dry.

6.jpg

I used this time to measure out my 80qt pot. filled the pot in increments and i notched an old plastic stirring rod i had. can't really see the notches in the picture, but it worked great. used the water for sanitization and laundry.

7.jpg

vorlaufing we did the old fashioned way. we recirculated the mash with my buddy's pump and then used an in-line filter to transfer.

8.jpg

we used our "splash-sparge" technique, which is basically just setting the sparge water to run equal to the run-off so there is no oxidation of the wort. it pours slowly on to a piece of aluminum foil. no need for all that fly sparge nonsense. bad picture, just clipped the hose up underneath the lid.

9.jpg

pumping the sparge water.

10.jpg

running off the wort.

11.jpg

here's 17 gallons boiling. we did this on a regular ole bayou burner. we started heat as soon as the wort was running. if you don't keep the heat on it the whole time, it's difficult to keep that volume boiling, but we didn't have too much trouble this time around. i do have better burners, but not with this stand.

12.jpg

the yeast we rehydrated with some of the runnings and stuck it on a stir plate to wake those suckers up. not sure if this is usually advised, but it seemed to work great.

13.jpg

cooling the wort. we used both of our copper coils, one from the sink and one from the outside line. for the line with the quick disconnects, we used "mini-chill"...a small coil we set in ice, prechilling the water. it only took 30 minutes to cool.

14.jpg

draining the wort.

15.jpg

pumping it back up to the conical. we spilled a little water when cleaning, but don't worry...the wort was safe ;)

16.jpg

awesome brew day. only took us 6 hours (hell, 5 gallons usually take 5.) we're going to use this setup to brew tried and true batches...every two weeks.

this setup is intended to eventually be a 15 gallon "pilot setup" that we can do test brews on for bigger batches, ultimately trying to imitate a commercial brewery. the best part about this session is that we got 90% efficiency. working as a team, taking care with all the steps and brewing on a larger scale accomplished this.

i was a little worried about temperature. it gets pretty cool in the basement, but fermentation often ramps things up and i was concerned that 15 gallons would be a ***** to cool down. my friend just checked it out, tho, and he said it's fermenting at 54°F.

awesome.

:rockin:
:mug:

took a sample yesterday. already down to 1.015 and pretty tasty (although the sample was quite yeasty. we dumped out the yeast and trub at the bottom and will drop in some finings in a couple of days.

the yeast were so healthy and white, smelled terrific!

should be ready to keg early next week!
:mug:

update? I'll be following your basic Vienna smash recipe this weekend, but for 5g. Where would this fit in the BJCP? ESB?
Are you entering this in the 09 World Cup of Beer??

no, this was made for a friend and we will be drinking all of it this weekend.

****, i should've taken pictures of the before and after...

we fined it with fish bladder (yummy :cross:) and then put it through a wine filter.

it's quite tasty and quite clear now.

on a 15 gallon scale, however, the vienna takes over. it left much more dextrins and other flavors than it did with the 5 gallon batches. we will be cutting with a small amount of 6-row the next time we brew this.

as for BJCP, it's closest would be an american pale ale.

the color, the ibus, the gravity all would fit. however, i don't think that you would rate very high considering it is too malty for a pale ale and the hops are more of the woody/piney variety (northern brewer) and not the general citrusy hops typical of an APA.

you could enter it in the specialty category, as a SMaSH, that's about it. I don't think i will be entering this beer anytime soon. i'll just be enjoying it :)

...and done. 5g bubbling away now. Went with all vienna and northern brewer. Hopefully it won't be too malty. Mashed low at 150. Screwed up temps, and batch sparged very low (~162!), so efficiency was not good (68%!). Hopefully that won't effect the taste though. We'll see. thanks for the idea.

Back