Krausen not falling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanson16

Reaction score
I have had an IPA in the primary for over a week. Typically after a week the krausen has receded into the beer. I want to transfer to a secondary so I can dry hop. Should I wait for it to recede?

Could it be Star San foam holding it up? This was the first time I used Star San and there was quite a bit of foam when I transferred from my boil kettle. My fermenting temp is at the lower range for the yeast (62 degrees) so that may be the reason for the delay as well.

Leave it alone! For a least another week anyway. Them test the gravity, wait three days, then test again. If your two samples have the same gravity then its done fermenting and you can rack to secondary for dry hopping. If the gravity is still dropping then leave it alone until it stabilizes. If you rack to secondary while it is still fermenting then you'll end up with a lot of yeast that will strip your hop goodies and also blow off a lot of the aroma from dry hopping.

Why not dry hop in the primary? Reduces the chance of any nasties getting in or adding O2 to the goods... Unless you are laggering leaving it in the primary shouldn't hurt anything

Toy4Rick said:
Why not dry hop in the primary?

I know a lot of brewers dont transfer but I have stayed in the primary before for the entire fermentation and I have never had as clear of beer compared to when I secondary. Maybe it is psychological but I seem to have better results when transferring to a secondary.

It won't be the Star San. What yeast are you using? I have a 1.060 ESB fermenting right now with Wyeast 1335 and it has the most persistent Kraeusen I've seen. It's funny because I first thought it was going to be too weak because the smack pack barely puffed up. Fortunately I was making a starter so I had options by brew day. It took right off and has been chugging away beautifully.

cluckk said:
What yeast are you using?

I am using wyeast 1272 american ale ii. It took off right away and was you going steady. I think it must be the temperature. It is under my stairs in my basement and it is fairly cool in there because it is not finished or heated.

I know a lot of brewers dont transfer but I have stayed in the primary before for the entire fermentation and I have never had as clear of beer compared to when I secondary. Maybe it is psychological but I seem to have better results when transferring to a secondary.

Clear beer takes time wether you are using a primary or not. I'll bet my beers that I primary for 5 weeks are clearer than your beers that you secondary, it seems like you turn your beers over quickly.

Xpertskir said:
Clear beer takes time wether you are using a primary or not. I'll bet my beers that I primary for 5 weeks are clearer than your beers that you secondary, it seems like you turn your beers over quickly.

That is probably true. I am typically 2 weeks (or a few days more) from brew day to bottle. My hydro readings are usually in line but a few more weeks would help it clear I am sure. I add gelatin at secondary which helps. I am just not patient enough to have finished beer sitting around. :)

Since you bottle you can be a little faster than I since I keg.

If your not tasting any off flavors namely diacetyl then full speed ahead. You don't drink clarity anyways...

My advice would be to buy more primaries and build a pipeline, best way to gain patience.

Bringing the temperature up by wrapping the carboy in a blanket is helping. The krausen is starting to fall. I think I will heed the advice to be a little more patient. :)

Back