Free keg...Usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBRunner

Reaction score
Well, here is a free keg given to me.....:ban:
Most of the ones I see pictured are straight, but this one has the bulge in the middle......Is it an old one?

Should still work for a keggle, don't ya think?

103_0145.jpg

It'll work great. You prolly won't be able to fit a sight glass onto it, but a spigot and thermometer will work.

EDIT: unless you have the elbow for the sightglass fitting come way out.

Make sure the rounded lips on the top and bottom have small holes drilled in them.

Some keg styles are sealed and putting them on a flame and heating them up can result in keg explosions.

Yep, I checked the handles after reading the thread on exploding kegs!

I'm just trying to figure out how to put a sight glass on it.....

Well you could always try and find a material that is bendable, clear and heat resistant to 250 degrees or so. That way you can bend it with the curve of the barrel. You might be able to heat and bend polycarbonate, but I was thinking it would be better to find something flexible at room temp, but can stand 250

How about McMaster part number 8359K17

http://www.mcmaster.com/

High-Strength Clear Nylon Tubing
High Temperature Range +201º to +300º F
Operating Temperature Range -40º to +212º F

Or 5773K16 (PFA)

Extreme-Purity Clear PFA Tubing
Operating Temperature Range
-320º to +500º F

Or 5733K78 (Teflon PFA metric, cheaper for some reason)
Type Crack-Resistant Tubing Made with Teflon® PFA
Operating Temperature Range -320º to +500º F

Hey, thanks! I like the price of the teflon tubing....Just have to find me a metric fitting to fit it in...Shouldn't be that hard......

Back