I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled one of the chickens aside and reprimanded him. One of the black ones so I think it's a he. He's not the one who rules this roost, he's in my house now. I will feed him to my dog if he keeps pissing me off, trying to cause trouble. He's in my left hand while I type with my right one and he seems very interested in what I'm doing. Watching every letter. Oh gosh, now he's on the keyboard, excitedly pecking while he's watching me. This is nuts. He can't peck hard enough to depress a key... yet. When I stopped typing, he took over and started pecking away.

He has stopped pecking the others after his punishment. None of them will ever be in charge, I'm in charge in this house.

We are under blizzard warning until 7pm Alaskan time tonight. I have 1 of my techs over in Valdez and she is stuck there, they are expecting up to 60" of snow, 60mph - 80mph winds. Anchorage is just looking at the high winds, whiteout and maybe a foot of snow. I am glad April is almost here - it means break up is coming soon! Still too early to start many plants but we aren't going to have as big a garden this year as we are getting ready for our move next year.

I do not like spring storms said sam I am.

My wife has been getting excited to start planting and I keep on telling no hon the ground is still frozen and it will snow again. It snowed again today LOL.

This is her first year with snow :mug:

Look what I found today while looking for more junk to sell. He was in a box in a dark corner. Date on him is 1985. It looks like someone opened the box but he doesn't appear to be used. Questioned hubby about it and he said a gag gift that got left here from a party years ago. I don't remember that party. Of course, I don't much remember 1985 at all.

I think it's false advertising because the doll looks nothing like his picture on the front. And he has an innie, not an outie, so all around he is useless to me. Think he's worth some money? A collector might want him?

He has a purty mouf.

Between trying to keep a flame the worry about dust in the wort makes it tough to brew on days like that. I haven't brewed in a while but next Friday I'll be doing my vanilla pumpkin porter so I can't wait (especially after the day I had today!)

This one came up in iTunes while I was putting some primer on the walls. I don't know why but I've always taken this song to heart and get all sentimental when I hear it.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1KtScrqtbc&sns=em

Damn, actually got chills watching that.

Didn't really understand what the title meant at first. After a while, it clicked. Touching. :)

I'm not saying that any animal should ever be treated inhumanely... but its really hard to care too much about the feelings of chickens. They are kind of the jack krackers of the animal world.
Domestic turkeys are worse. I didn't feel even a momentary twitch cutting there heads off.

Yeah, I don't think I want poultry again. I got enough of that as a kid.

I think John could be a good chick sitter. :ban:

He might be good for a lot of things. Says on the box that he holds 250 pounds. I can get him to lift my grain, carboys, buckets, kettles, etc. I just hope it's not more false advertising.

That breakfast sounds uber good Bobbi!

I'm still pi$$ed that I didn't get to brew today! Sack of grain is just sitting there on the table just begging to be milled! I can't wait till Monday!

That breakfast sounds uber good Bobbi!

I'm still pi$$ed that I didn't get to brew today! Sack of grain is just sitting there on the table just begging to be milled! I can't wait till Monday!

Fried potatoes, caramelized with onions is also good instead of grits. I know I have bacon and potatoes and bread, and store bought eggs. Yum, breakfast.

I got a bunch of grain, hops in the freezer and saved yeast, and a couple small empty fermenters now. Gonna try some small batches and actually pay attention to what I am doing. Funny, few people can't wait until Monday.

Well, tattoo day turned into rescheduling for next weekend. Storming out and raining in the kitchen. Supplies for my new roof should be here this week. I'm also feeling horrible about punishing the aggressive chick, especially after how cute he was being with my keyboard. Now he is sullen and being rejected by the others. Even edited my post deleting my admission about what I did to it. He was being cute but then when I put him back, he immediately started attacking the others again. That made me mad, hence the punishment. Poor little chick. I didn't actually injure him, but I may have caused the others to injure him. I really thought they were too little and weak to do much harm.

Anyway, I want to get the tats on a happy day, not a dreary day. Plus, my paypal withdrawal from junk sales this week hasn't gone through to my account yet, thought it would by today. Next weekend should be nice weather and more money to spend.

Also spilled the beans to hubby about the second tat and I'm glad I did. He doesn't want to see a tat there, he wants to see my ring there. I had no idea all these years that it bothered him so much. So after much discussion, I agreed to wear it if we have the diamond removed and have it made into a simple gold band. I'll do something else special with the diamond, and he was happy with the compromise. To my surprise we also discussed a new location for the tattoo for him. It'll go on my wrist, on the bone that sticks out. I hear tattoos over bone are painful, but the tat will be happy, B & B, floating together in a heart. His birthstone color is green, mine's blue, so the color of water. To represent the painful and happy times we've had together. People call us B & B for short, Bill & Bobbi, always been a team.

Might want to skip past my posts, just more mindless mumbling and rambling about nothing in particular. So, on each wrist I have a heart shaped bone that sticks out. When hubby and I were looking for a location for a floating heart, I suggested that spot. He said, wow, what happened, I don't have one of those, and asked if I had one on the other wrist as well and I do. It's like where 2 bones split off and a knuckle like thing. I never took anatomy classes, don't know what they are called, but I think everyone has them, mine just protrude. Funny, hubby never noticed before, they always been there. I figured that's a spot I'll never get wrinkles because the skin is stretched over the bone. So, no expiration date on it.

I picked up all the chicks for a bit, one at a time, let them all know that no one is immune to the handling. With the one that seems like the new leader, I gave him/her a pep talk, it's one of tan ones so I think it's a girl. Not sure on that. But the new leader leads by poking chest out and bumping by the others, not by trying to peck eyes out. Trying to peck each others eyes out will not be allowed and the new leader is aware of that. My dog won't even look at them, he's so pissed they invaded his house.

I will keep rambling and mumbling with no care who is still listening. I joined a chicken forum with hubby and everyone will talk to him, but they don't seem to want to talk to me. I think I offended their precious chickens. They probably think I'm a troll that hacked hubby's account, but hubby said it was okay to ask my silly questions under his account, he already introduced us as Bill and Bobbi. He will clarify my questions when he gets a chance and maybe get some answers for us. Meh, I guess I am a chicken abuser. I will eat them at the drop of a hat, a tiny skewer. If they make me mad enough. This is "No Aggressive Chick Zone" around here, well, besides me.

It's ok Bobbi, the possum under the house will be dispatching the chickens in no time solving the problem ;)

I hope the possum does eat these tiny little bastards. I feel like re-setting the trap, with hubby's precious little babies. "Chirp, chirp, come get me oh ye opossum." On that chicken forum you aren't supposed to be mean to them, respecting pecking order and all that. But I set the pecking order around here, not these little bastards.

BobbiLynn said:
I hope the possum does eat these tiny little bastards. I feel like re-setting the trap, with hubby's precious little babies. "Chirp, chirp, come get me oh ye opossum." On that chicken forum you aren't supposed to be mean to them, respecting pecking order and all that. But I set the pecking order around here, not these little bastards.

Ha! That's why we luv ya

So, today it was my turn to have a batch of mozzarella go south on me. I used the exact same stuff and process with one exception. The milk I had was almost two weeks expired. I guess time got away from me, because I didn't expect it to be that old. The funny thing is, even though it didn't turn out to be mozz it's still very edible and quite tasty. It has a crumbly texture like stilton or blue cheese, and it tastes a lot like white cheddar. Perhaps I'm on to something with using old milk. I wish all of my mistakes in life turned out as well in the end. Now... Time to find my box of crackers!

Stauffbier said:
So, today it was my turn to have a batch of mozzarella go south on me. I used the exact same stuff and process with one exception. The milk I had was almost two weeks expired. I guess time got away from me, because I didn't expect it to be that old. The funny thing is, even though it didn't turn out to be mozz it's still very edible and quite tasty. It has a crumbly texture like stilton or blue cheese, and it tastes a lot like white cheddar. Perhaps I'm on to something with using old milk. I wish all of my mistakes in life turned out as well in the end. Now... Time to find my box of crackers!

Interesting.. The times I've had mozzarella be crumbly and not stretch was when I tried to rush it and the ph wasn't low enough for long enough. As long as it tastes good, right? Man, I'm hungry..

Interesting.. The times I've had mozzarella be crumbly and not stretch was when I tried to rush it and the ph wasn't low enough for long enough. As long as it tastes good, right? Man, I'm hungry..

Last time I made it the cheese was perfect. My recipe calls for me to bring it up to 105F, remove from heat, and wait 20 mins. At the 20 minute mark I could tell it hadn't separated right, so I added another 1/4 tab of rennet (was flying blind by now) and left it another 20 mins. It helped, but not much. Looking back maybe I should have added more acid?!

I just ate some on crackers, and it's delicious. So, yeah, as long as it tastes good...

Stauffbier said:
Last time I made it the cheese was perfect. My recipe calls for me to bring it up to 105F, remove from heat, and wait 20 mins. At the 20 minute mark I could tell it hadn't separated right, so I added another 1/4 tab of rennet (was flying blind by now) and left it another 20 mins. It helped, but not much. Looking back maybe I should have added more acid?!

Could be. After a couple crumbly batches I've taken to starting it in the evening, adding the acid, and letting it sit overnight. Then I proceed with making the curds the next morning. It stretches nicely, a lot less burning of the hands, and it melts a lot better as well. I haven't had any troubles with spoilage or anything. I think letting it sit longer at the lower ph weakens the proteins or something. I have a "traditional" recipe that takes all day, but I haven't made it yet.

That sounds very interesting. I still have a lot to learn about making cheese. I probably will never take it as far as I have homebrewing, but I'll still dabble from time to time.

Stauffbier said:
That sounds very interesting. I still have a lot to learn about making cheese. I probably will never take it as far as I have homebrewing, but I'll still dabble from time to time.

Same here.. I've got a couple really great books on cheese making, and it frankly gets into a more involved hobby than I have time for very quickly. Between the different molds and presses, all the bacterial components and the necessity for a climate controlled cheese cave, it would quickly match up my brewing equipment for real estate. And since my wife is lactose intolerant, she would be as receptive to my cheese making as she is to my brewing ;)

Poultry is not my favorite, though my dog loves it, but I do love eggs. Eggs with sausage or bacon with grits and toast. Yum, looking forward to morning.

I like eggs too.

I only know of two ways to keep chickens from injuring each other with the pecking. Clip the beaks, or give them enough space that they can run away from each other.

I just ate some on crackers, and it's delicious. So, yeah, as long as it tastes good...
Interesting. Usually older milk has had a lot of the lactose converted to lactic acid, so it's actually more acidic. That's what I usually make ricotta from, I like the tang and I don't have to throw out the milk that way. The more sour the milk is, the less vinegar I need to add to get a good separation.

Possibly the reaction you would normally get making mozzarella between the citric acid and the proteins has already occured to some degree with the lactic acid. I seem to remember that the type of acid used makes a big difference in whether the cheese will stretch or not. That's a fairly vague memory from some of the incidental info I picked up trying to figure out why my mozzarella kept failing to achieve a clean break though.

I will keep rambling and mumbling with no care who is still listening. I joined a chicken forum with hubby and everyone will talk to him, but they don't seem to want to talk to me. I think I offended their precious chickens. They probably think I'm a troll that hacked hubby's account, but hubby said it was okay to ask my silly questions under his account, he already introduced us as Bill and Bobbi. He will clarify my questions when he gets a chance and maybe get some answers for us. Meh, I guess I am a chicken abuser. I will eat them at the drop of a hat, a tiny skewer. If they make me mad enough. This is "No Aggressive Chick Zone" around here, well, besides me.

Let me guess, was it HBT's sister site named Home Cooked Chicken Talk (HCCT)? :ban::ban:

A chicken troll eh? I suppose there are worse things.

Got my Dad's water main dug up today. That was a chore. Could have been worse I guess. About a 3x3X4 hole. I'll snap some pics tomorrow when I go over to mend the pipe.........again. Anybody have any experience with pipe dope (not the kind you smoke ;) ) I read that you should use that as opposed to thread tape for more or less permanent thread joints. Well, I used some today and water shot right out from the freakin threads. Torqued the hell out of it and applied the goo as directed. :confused: I think I'll just take it back apart and thread tape the crap out of it and call it good.

Interesting. Usually older milk has had a lot of the lactose converted to lactic acid, so it's actually more acidic. That's what I usually make ricotta from, I like the tang and I don't have to throw out the milk that way. The more sour the milk is, the less vinegar I need to add to get a good separation.

Possibly the reaction you would normally get making mozzarella between the citric acid and the proteins has already occured to some degree with the lactic acid. I seem to remember that the type of acid used makes a big difference in whether the cheese will stretch or not. That's a fairly vague memory from some of the incidental info I picked up trying to figure out why my mozzarella kept failing to achieve a clean break though.

I was thinking the same thing about the older milk being more acidic when I decided to use it. Perhaps you're right about lactic working different than citric. I have both types of acid, so maybe I should do a side by side experiment with very fresh milk.

Got my Dad's water main dug up today. That was a chore. Could have been worse I guess. About a 3x3X4 hole. I'll snap some pics tomorrow when I go over to mend the pipe.........again. Anybody have any experience with pipe dope (not the kind you smoke ;) ) I read that you should use that as opposed to thread tape for more or less permanent thread joints. Well, I used some today and water shot right out from the freakin threads. Torqued the hell out of it and applied the goo as directed. :confused: I think I'll just take it back apart and thread tape the crap out of it and call it good.

What type of pipe are you working with?

I kinda want to troll the chicken forum.. Start some silly threads. I'm a magician, and with the price of doves lately I've started using chickens in my acts. I do one little routine where I beat the chickens senseless in front of crowd, and they seem to love this. Is anyone else here doing work like this. Talk to me sweetie cakes.

What type of pipe are you working with?

Black plastic with an elbow. The old elbow was plastic and it cracked. I'm replacing it with brass. I couldn't find a hose barb to hose barb elbow locally so I had to get a street elbow and two hose barb to MIP fittings.

I kinda want to troll the chicken forum.. Start some silly threads. I'm a magician, and with the price of doves lately I've started using chickens in my acts. I do one little routine where I beat the chickens senseless in front of crowd, and they seem to love this. Is anyone else here doing work like this. Talk to me sweetie cakes.

Do it!

It´s 7:40 Am here and I´m already logged to two different beer forums and thinking about beer... does this means that I´m an alcoholic or just a beer freak?

Back