How snobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie has lost touch then. The second AB buys a small brewery, the craft beer turns from craft to "faux-craft"? Heh? He is part of a political machine and has left the brewing scene behind. That's sad.

This used to be about flavor. Now it's just politics as usual. Sorry AHA, that does not represent my views on beer.

Guess I'm in the small percent who only buy beer at all in 2 situations: I'm down at the Pub (usually Smartmouth local or FW on tap), or it's something I've not tried before & trust the brewery/have a recommendation from someone who knows good beer.

Neither of those situations leads to MegaBeers, but I don't know that it's a matter of principle for me.

I will not support InBev or MillerCoors. I fit into the 25% who say they're an evil corporation. Maybe when the market is back to a reasonable level and say Macros control 60% of the Market and craft controls 40% (BTW I would be against Sam Adams or Dogfish if they ever got to AB's size) thne maybe I'd consider it.

Thankfully AB's concern over the bottom line means I'll never have this conundrum, since the only good brews they own are former crafts like Goose Island.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the huge corp breweries. The beers that changed he market as we know it today all pretty much started small. That said I have no problem buying a Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada even though they are far from small today. I envision this growth going to where most every small town will have a brewpub or brewery in it. I like to support local as much as possible. Although I buy quite a beers from quite a few different breweries, I do see the day when we all can go to our local pub and buy their beer to take home. Fresh from the tap, at your local pub where you know the guys that brewed it. Kind of like buying produce from the local farmer with the roadside stand.

Charlie has lost touch then. The second AB buys a small brewery, the craft beer turns from craft to "faux-craft"? Heh? He is part of a political machine and has left the brewing scene behind. That's sad.

This used to be about flavor. Now it's just politics as usual. Sorry AHA, that does not represent my views on beer.

I hope you're just trolling.

CreamyGoodness said:
Billy, you are truly an addition to the forum.

Truly an overnight success. Now we just need to get him a membership and see how he does in the debate forum ;)

Truly an overnight success. Now we just need to get him a membership and see how he does in the debate forum ;)

hahaha! that's a vote of confidence! I never learned how to debate properly though. most of my learnin' was self taught from them books & what-nots. hells bells, though! I wouldn't mind dropping in from time to time to shake out a thought nugget.

Billy-Klubb said:
hahaha! that's a vote of confidence! I never learned how to debate properly though. most of my learnin' was self taught from them books & what-nots. hells bells, though! I wouldn't mind dropping in from time to time to shake out a thought nugget.

Indeed! There's someone on the forum I'd like to introduce you to, a Mr.cheezydemon ;)
Oh, and it's a misnomer that you need to be educated or even intelligent to debate on the Internet

Indeed! There's someone on the forum I'd like to introduce you to, a Mr.cheezydemon ;)
Oh, and it's a misnomer that you need to be educated or even intelligent to debate on the Internet

how many teeth he gots?

Two. He's from Kentucky.

alrighty then, and all that. he's got my 12 beat by a fortnight, at least. good show, old man cheesy! good show indeed!

Awesome! This just made my night! :ban:

So, when this "friend" brings this bottle with the label covered, and he "twists off" the cap, you haven't figured out it is from one of the big boys? :rolleyes: how did this go three pages without that being caught????

If one of my friends brings it over, I know it was cheap from the fact that one of my friends brought it over.

Bud makes dozens of kinds of beers around the world- some of them have to be good- I once spent an afternoon tasting at the A-B Hospitality place at Seaworld in Orlando (now closed to drinking) afterall it was free beer! I enjoyed a few and spat a few others out (not really- it was summer in Florida afterall) Bud may be the epitome of big brewing and all that goes along with it but they do know how to make beer- they just market it to those who don't know how much better real beer can be...

Budweiser American Ale is good. So is the classic Budweiser in the red and white can. Yeah. I said it. And Ziegen Bock. I like it.

Budweiser Platinum is a mix of rat and roach poison with a strong undertone of condemned building.

My wife likes Shock Top pumpkin beer.

MGD is good. It used to be my go to.

Miller Highlife is okay, I was just never that in to it.

Coors Banquet, which I had never heard it called Banquet before a few years ago, is good. And people here pronounce it Kerrs.

Coors Silver Bullet, not so good. I'm not much on lite beer.

I suspect a Shock Top or maybe Alexander Kieth is what the OP had.

Oh, and http://anheuser-busch.com/index.php/our-beers/ Check it.

alane1 said:
I hope you're just trolling.

How is it trolling? You will support a view of buying some bandaid tasting crap with an inch of sludge in the bottle over a nice tasting well made beer simply because the one is labeled "craft" while the other is made by a large scale professional brewery? Because if that is so, it should translate to all of your spending decisions, because it's fickle to just apply it to beer. So no General Mills or ConAgra products make it into your grocery cart? All of your food is produced by small local vendors. Not buying something just because it's made by a company who's been bought out by a large corporation is small minded. There are the same people that made it last week making it this week after the buy out, and they have mortgages to pay and kids to feed. Some of you guys are acting like Budweiser/InBev raped your sister, and it's likely not so. It's just BEER for gods sake.

I would have no problem with buying an AB beer, or it even being my favorite beer. I actually like AB beers and drink a decent amount of them along with craft brews and home brews. It is just what I am in the mood for. As to their beers being cheap, you might want to talk to someone who actually works there. I know some people, including a guy who belongs to my home brew club. The amount of money they spend on making Bud would blow your mind. They continue to beech wood age even though it does not do anything significant and cost a lot of $ just because of tradition. Natty Light, different story but it sells cheaper too.

And as was said before, they give the public what it wants. For every bottle of craft brews how many bottles of light lager are sold? Most people want light tasting beers, so that is what BMC makes. What is wrong with catering to your biggest customer? I would. If you do like the taste of it, don't drink it. If you do, drink it.

So, when this "friend" brings this bottle with the label covered, and he "twists off" the cap, you haven't figured out it is from one of the big boys? :rolleyes: how did this go three pages without that being caught????

If one of my friends brings it over, I know it was cheap from the fact that one of my friends brought it over.

So true.

CreamyGoodness said:
I'm not a tough guy, so I'm not going to threaten anyone. But I am going to say that the next person who gets butthurt over a conversation about beer should be hit with a salmon.

What the hell happened to people hitting themselves in the face with rubber chickens? Can we bring that back?

If you can't answer Jaybird's simple question you're nothing more than a troll. Seemingly a successful one...

This was all completely hypothetical. I figured that was obvious from my original post. My bad for not making that more clear. The beer in question is merely fiction. A mild thought experiment.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I am in a much different time zone than most of you.

For me, I agree with most of you here that say, "If it's good, it's good. I would buy it." Before moving to Finland, I drank Bud Light or Keystone Light. Now when I go back state side I do not order those unless that is all there is. It is a taste thing for me, after drinking European lagers for over 5 years, a bud light tastes of nothing to me.

The responses to this post were close to what I expected. "I drink what I drink and everyone else can piss off" (my thoughts exactly), and the other opinion, "damn the evil corporations that control the industry". I honestly thought that the latter would be more predominant. So I am glad I did post this.

I have worked for a very large, industry leading, company in the US. Now I am in business school learning to do what I already know how to do, but need a piece of paper to prove it, Damn Finns. Because of this, I look at these things from a different prospective. I have a terrific appreciation for the big three brewers, for Walmart, Monsanto and others of the same ilk. Their business models are what most companies would kill for, whether they admit it or not. They didn't get to where they are today by letting anyone take just a tenth of a precent of market share. For their lead pipe cruelty in their business practices, I have no issues. Ethics are a different issue. I could go into a diatribe on that and Beer Wars, but that is a can of worms I do not wish to open currently. Maybe I will have to buck up and become a full member to enter the debate forum.

This was all completely hypothetical. I figured that was obvious from my original post. My bad for not making that more clear. The beer in question is merely fiction. A mild thought experiment.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I am in a much different time zone than most of you.

For me, I agree with most of you here that say, "If it's good, it's good. I would buy it." Before moving to Finland, I drank Bud Light or Keystone Light. Now when I go back state side I do not order those unless that is all there is. It is a taste thing for me, after drinking European lagers for over 5 years, a bud light tastes of nothing to me.

The responses to this post were close to what I expected. "I drink what I drink and everyone else can piss off" (my thoughts exactly), and the other opinion, "damn the evil corporations that control the industry". I honestly thought that the latter would be more predominant. So I am glad I did post this.

I have worked for a very large, industry leading, company in the US. Now I am in business school learning to do what I already know how to do, but need a piece of paper to prove it, Damn Finns. Because of this, I look at these things from a different prospective. I have a terrific appreciation for the big three brewers, for Walmart, Monsanto and others of the same ilk. Their business models are what most companies would kill for, whether they admit it or not. They didn't get to where they are today by letting anyone take just a tenth of a precent of market share. For their lead pipe cruelty in their business practices, I have no issues. Ethics are a different issue. I could go into a diatribe on that and Beer Wars, but that is a can of worms I do not wish to open currently. Maybe I will have to buck up and become a full member to enter the debate forum.

Nicely put and +1

I'm not a tough guy, so I'm not going to threaten anyone. But I am going to say that the next person who gets butthurt over a conversation about beer should be hit with a salmon.
I'll see your salmon and raise you a monk fish.

What the hell happened to people hitting themselves in the face with rubber chickens? Can we bring that back?
"This is the really real world. There ain't no coming back!"

Latest posts

Back