Bigger Bottle = Longer Carb Time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiescins

Reaction score
I read somewhere on here (can't find it now) that some have experienced that it takes longer for bigger bottles to carb. The theory makes sense to me. That said, is there a general rule on length of time for bigger bottle? I would assume that it is not a linear relationship with bottle volume. I ask because I started this thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/high-gravity-carbonation-issue-356459/) on a high gravity carbonation issue I'm having, my plan is to do nothing except wait a couple months before tasting again. The batch was bottled in 22oz bottles except for 2x 12oz (to test for carbonation). I now only have 1x 12oz left. If the 12oz is carb'd at Thanksgiving to my liking, is there a rule of thumb for how much longer before the 22oz's are the equivalent?

A larger volume sized bottle usually needs more time to carb AND condition. I have some pints, 22 oz bombers and other sizes that I often use, but since I enter contests I usually also do a sixer or two of standard 12 ouncers for entering. And inevitably the 12 ouncers are done at least a week faster than the larger bottles....some times two weeks ahead of time...

Also the rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70 degrees for a normal grav 12 ounce bottle....to carb and condition....It takes longer for the yeasties to convert the larger volume in the bigger bottles to enough co2 in the headspace to be reabsorbed back into the solution...A ration I don't know how much...

Big Kahuna gives a good explanation here...
Simple. It's the ration of contact area just like in a keg. The c02 will need to pressurize the head space (Which takes LESS TIME) in a bigger bottle (More Yeast and sugar, roughly the same head space) but then it has to force that c02 into solution through the same contact area...thus it takes longer.

Here's some other peoples answers from a thread last week on this subject.

Here's some folks who have actually experienced it.

In my experience, a 22-oz container will condition more slowly. This has only been apparent to me with beers that are really slow-conditioning anyway, like my red ale that I screwed up. It had some pretty significant heat-related off flavors that disappeared from the 12-ounce bottles WAY before they left the 22s.

I have done both 12 and 22 oz bottles. About the only difference I have seen is the big bottles take a few days longer to carb. They do save bottling time (less bottles to sanitize,fill,cap). Somehow I seem to run out of beer faster though:drunk:

I regularly use both 12oz and 22oz bottles with no noticeable taste difference. The 22 ouncers might take longer to carb up but by the time I get around to drinking them I have never noticed a difference.

I always bottle my batches into 2 cases of 22oz bombers and then end up with a little left over that goes into a couple of 12oz bottles. In my experience, the 22oz bottles usually take longer to carb. Sometimes 1 to 2 weeks longer (4 to 5 weeks total bottle conditioning time).

Well here's one to support the 22oz taking longer.

When trying to convince people to not carbonate in growlers, you have talked about the CO2 pressure building up in the headspace and then being absorbed into the liquid. There's the same amount of surface area and volume in the neck of a 22 or 12 ounce bottle. Wouldn't the greater ratio beer to surface area make the CO2 absorb slower in the larger bottle?

edit:
Should of read the whole thread first.
Now I see your BigKahuna quote.:eek:

Thx Revvy. If I try to extrapolate a relative increase in time for a bomber from a 12oz it seems like 20% to 50% more time. Which isn't much for a typical gravity beer, but could be a couple months for what I have going on. Thanks again!

Back