IPA: Primary for 12 days or 21 before dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtb178

Reaction score
Hello,

After taking a look at a Ballast Point Sculpin clone on HBT, I decided I wanted to make something similar. I visited by LHBS, and ended up with this: http://hopville.com/recipe/1559054/american-ipa-recipes/ballast-point-sculpin-from-hbt

Long story short, I'm trying to decide when to dry hop. Would it help to leave it in for three weeks primary, then dry hop, or do so after (just under) two weeks? I'm leaving for a vacation for a week, and can either dry hop right before we leave or right after. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Leave it in the primary until it is done fermenting, i.e. you reach your final gravity over a few days, could be two weeks, best to leave it for three anyway. Transfer to secondary and dry hop for about a few days to a week, then bottle/keg, and enjoy :mug:

I would leave it until you get back before dry hopping. It should be done by then but only way to know is a stable gravity reading and same reading 3 days later. Don't rush a beer if you don't need to. It will turn out better if you don't. But if the brew is done fermenting before you leave then dry hop before.

Keep in mind that american style ipas are best fresh. The hop character begins to go south after not too long. Thats why homebrewed ipas are king! I usually dry hop after 2 weeks (given that the gravity is stable, which it always is) and keg after week 3.

Keep in mind that american style ipas are best fresh. The hop character begins to go south after not too long. Thats why homebrewed ipas are king! I usually dry hop after 2 weeks (given that the gravity is stable, which it always is) and keg after week 3.

Yep, this is the basis for my question. I wasn't sure if IPAs are an exception to the general thinking on homebrewing: while patience tends to lead to improved beers, IPAs are best fresh (but done). I figured that I'd ask the knowledgeable folks here at HBT, since I didn't really know how to proceed.

Yep, this is the basis for my question. I wasn't sure if IPAs are an exception to the general thinking on homebrewing: while patience tends to lead to improved beers, IPAs are best fresh (but done). I figured that I'd ask the knowledgeable folks here at HBT, since I didn't really know how to proceed.

The initial fermentation is ok to be patient on, its once you move to the dry hopping stage that you are better to enjoy the IPAs young, I think I would only do a week. As I believe you will do, you want to make sure that the beer is done, so 3 or even 4 weeks in primary isn't a concern, but bottle and drink up soon after you finish dry hopping :tank:

3 weeks is fine but honestly, wait till fermentation is done (check OG at the 10 day mark and every other day afterward), throw in the hops, wait 7 days, cold crash for 24 hours in the fridge, bottle / keg. Enjoy as soon as possible. I LOVE homebrewed IPAs because they are so amazing and full of great hop flavors.

The initial fermentation is ok to be patient on, its once you move to the dry hopping stage that you are better to enjoy the IPAs young, I think I would only do a week. As I believe you will do, you want to make sure that the beer is done, so 3 or even 4 weeks in primary isn't a concern, but bottle and drink up soon after you finish dry hopping :tank:

Quick question: does this mean that the "2 week" rule for bottle conditioning (also perhaps including up to 1 more week of refrigeration) is best ignored?

Thanks everyone.

Not necessarily, you won't get the best carbonation if you don't let it bottle condition long enough, but it's your beer. Throw a couple in the fridge at one week, two week, three week marks and see how you like it best.

Back