Dissapointing batch!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewishowardm3

Reaction score
Hi all. I just opened a bottle of my 3rd batch and to say I'm disappointed is a understatement. It has been sitting for two weeks to clear in the bottles.
It has a puffft when opening so I assume it's carbonated. It has no head retention at all. It seems very watery light in body and is very sweet.
I'm from England and I got this kit from my LHBS. It's a shire maker home brew. It's meant to be a dark ale. Don't know weather to ditch it or is there any way I can improve it?

You'll find that time cures most issues. Let it sit a few more weeks, put a bottle in the fridge for a few days then try again. Repeat until it's where you want it. How is the taste?

Yes,there is. Leave it to condition for 4 weeks,then at least one week in the fridge. It's not properly conditioned yet,& hasn't finshed carbonating either. And co2 absorbtion at cold temps doesn't work that fast either. 2 weeks in the fridge will give thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.
It sounds like not all the priming sugar was converted yet. Patience is a vertue to brewers.

Give it another week minimum in the bottles. 2 Weeks would be better. Then put a couple in the fridge for at least 3 days (because CO2 dissolves better into cold liquid). If you post the recipe and your process we can better help you to get the results you are expecting.

2 weeks is not always long enough to carb, you may be tasting sweetness from the priming sugar. Don't throw it just keep tastin one every week or two.

The watery body can be a product of your recipe, what was your recipe?

Cheers I'll leave it then. It tastes like beer but seems a bit watery but don't no weather thats because its not ready yet?

Most often,beers are watery because they're not fully carbonated. That changes our perception of mouthfeel.

It's a shiremaker kit. 1.7kg LME, 1kg dextrose. 5 gallon batch. OG 1052 FG 1008. Bottled after 7 days at 24c (75f aprox). It's not a well known kit. Maybe I'll stick to the well known kits. I got a coopers ipa on ATM. Will be dry hopping too

37% of fermentables are sugar. That'll probably thinned it out. I'd use kits that didn't contain sugar, they're probably a bit more expensive since thy'll contain more extract.

You will find other kits or find ingredients to brew with that would suit your tastes more. Maybe fresher ingredinets and a recipe that fits a style you like would be better. Maybe get the ingredients seperatly using a recipe that you like on the forum here.Im shure if you do extract only it can be converted from all grain as well.

3 weeks may be a bit young to decide if its good or ready yet,see what you think after a few more weeks,but more likely a month.The taste of beer usually changes in the process and i think its still green yet. I have just done this with a esb,fermented 2 weeks then bottled and checked one at a week. Had a 1.04 OG, so i thought i would see how it was young,it was moderatley carbed and could just tell it will get much better after a few more weeks/month. Mine did taste good but i think i got my process down where they dont need to age much.

I do want to get into partial mash but I think I'll take my time and find a good kit to do, then once I get the hang of that I'll move on. Cheers people. This seems to be a great resource and has helped me so far

I started buy the Cooper's OS cans seperatelt so I could add plain DME,hops.etc to make a better beer. The enhancers are ok,especially if you want a lighter colored/bodied beer. Like a colder brewed ale. But if you wanna get your feet wet,you could try a Brewer's Best kit,like their summer ale with carapils & spices. It's supposed to be a Shock Top clone. Or one of them with steeping grains. It's much like mashing but not as critical.

Back