How to help hops beat the heat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uberg33k

Reaction score
So, most areas of the country are looking at ~100F temperatures for the next couple days. Any more experienced hop growers have any suggestions for helping to keep your hops alive through the heat wave?

Would like some info as well.. I just keep the soil moist.. i have irrigation and sprinklers out there as well... But any info would be great

Would like some info as well.. I just keep the soil moist.. i have irrigation and sprinklers out there as well... But any info would be great

Yeah, I've been watering, but under water restrictions, you can do anything between 10am and 5pm. Most people will be at work on Friday as well, so I was wondering if there's anything I should do other than give them a good soaking at night and mist the leaves in the morning and when I get home.

It's ass hot here, too. Some of my plants really seem to enjoy it (nugget and sterling) but my cascade didn't do so well and my mt hood is really struggling, especially after it was stripped of leaves by locusts. I water in the morning and evening each day. That seems to help my plants. I wouldn't mist when the sun is out for fear of scorching the leaves.

We are beginning the dog days here in Charleston. They came late this year. I do a big soak in the AM making sure the soil is well saturated. I don't do a PM soak due to fungus issue here.

I agree with the above. Don't mist the leaves you will have burn spots from the sun and water beads.

All you can do is keep them watered... We just got our drip irrigation in and attached a 300 gallon water buffalo to the line. Takes ~6 hours to empty but the plants seem happier.

Back