Barley wine - how long to finish after opening?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tincob

Reaction score
I've never had barley wine before so I went out today and picked up a bottle of English style barley wine.

Its a liter bottle brewed by Pennichuck brewing company.

I'm looking forward to tasting it but I know I'm not going to knock it down all by myself, at least not in one sitting.

Can I take my time with it like a bottle of fine scotch or does it go bad after a while like an opened bottle of wine?

I wouldn't let it go opened for too long, maybe one night to the next? Maybe find a friend to share it with, or wait for a night whan you can enjoy the whole thimg by yourself.

I'm gonna agree with hockey, I wouldn't let it go very long opened. Now it will age over time if left un-opened, most high gravity beers age very well, but if you open it consume it that night

Re-bottle part of it immediately on opening. Alan, over at Hair of the Dog, puts many of his monster beers in jeroboams. He also does 7 oz. bottles, which is about right.

Back