Still Apfewein in growlers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Greetings! I know you can't bottle condition beer in screw-top growlers because you can't make enough of a seal to carbonate. But what about putting still apfelwein in there? The caps have a waxy seal on the underside, so oxidation shouldn't be an issue.

Any other problems with it? I've got a ton of growlers lying around. It'd be really cool to get some use out of them.

Thanks,

-Joe

You probably could use them just fine. I would flush them with CO2 if you can to prevent oxidation.

You probably could use them just fine. I would flush them with CO2 if you can to prevent oxidation.
I don't have CO2(yet); what I was planning to do is fill them as if I were bottling in bombers: fill with a bottling wand right up to the top so there's only a small headspace of air.

Thanks for the input,

-Joe

Finish a growler of Apfelwein? I can see the headlines now "Man found in ditch, naked, with a smile on his face.

Back