First beer brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crumpetsnbeer

Reaction score
So this may be a dumb question I am brewing my first batch of beer "5gal", so this is the problem i have ran into. My brew store is closed for the next few days and I need to buy some bottles to bottle my beer and don't have my car for a week so I'm out of luck with buying some bottles, I have 30/12oz bottles I should need about 50. Now when i rack my beer for the last time to bottle it, my plan is to transfer it to my 6gal glass carboy put my stopper in the top then stick my bottling siphon through the hole and let gravity do the work.

Now what I'm wondering is can i put my air lock back on and keep the rest of my beer in the carboy for maybe like a week, till i can get some more bottles or Should i just leave it till I can bottle it all at once?

Leave it until you can bottle it all at once.
When you bottle, you're going to need to add sugar to the carboy before you transfer the beer in there. If you bottle some and let the rest sit for a week, that sugar is going to ferment out.
There's no harm it letting it sit a week longer, if anything it will just result in a clearer beer.

Agreed- bottle it all in one go. I partial bottled one batch (had a lot going on, but wanted to force carb some in a TAD), and it was a nerve-racking few weeks before the rest was bottled...it was still fine, but my sanity was drained :drunk:

Since you're in vacationland, could always offer any friends who drink from pop-tops a dime per bottle, delivered :D

They sell bottles at most package stores or supermarkets depending on your area. You just have to find a way to empty the fluid that comes with them!

:tank:

All my bottles are Schafley, new Belgium, Guinness and whatever. It was as much fun emptying them as it was refilling them. :mug:

as hard as it is, I would wait it out. your beer will thank you for it.

Like CG2112 said, you would have to prime the beer (unless you are putting sugar tabs in your bottles) whatever you have left in your carboy would probably ferment out. then you need to figure out your volume and re-prime your beer for the rest of the bottles.

as hard as it is, I would wait it out. your beer will thank you for it.

Like CG2112 said, you would have to prime the beer (unless you are putting sugar tabs in your bottles) whatever you have left in your carboy would probably ferment out. then you need to figure out your volume and re-prime your beer for the rest of the bottles.

Back