arpricot hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yemag

Reaction score
Almost ready to bottle apricot hefe. So far tastes very apricot-y. I used a simple extract hefe recipe and added six pounds of pitted apricots to the secondary waited two weeks. No pasteurization of the fruit. No real problems except that I lost ~1 gal when I went to a terciery to filter out the fruit bits.

-Yemag

Dude, be careful. I made a peach/mango wit awhile back, and even though the fermentation had stopped, there was sugar hiding in the fruit. So when I racked to the bottling bucket, it disturbed the fruit and I guess released alot of sugar. I ended up with alot of gushers. So, a word to the wise...I do see that you filtered out the fruit already, so...that's good. Did anything start back up after that?

Six pounds sounds like a lot...you can also get Apricot Extract from the Brew Supply Shops, like Austin Home brew. I just used that for my Magic Hat #9 clone.

You just add it to the bottling bucket and you're done. No mess and no long fermentation...but I can see how real fruit might taste better...

Sorry for the slow reply. The beer turned out great. The Apricot flavor came through and blended well with the hefe' fruitiness. No gushers I think most of the sugar got fermented.

Hmm, i've got some apricot extract for the magic hat #9 clone i'm doing, but I should have 2 oz left over. I'll have to give some thought to adding that to the hefe I just made. I've had pyramid apricot hefe and that was fantastic.

Back