DIY carboy carry/drying straps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjmac85

Reaction score
I wanted to make a drying strap to hang my carboy upside down and have it double duty as carrying straps. I was planning on making it out of paracord since it's cheap and I have done this design before. Basically I will be modeling it off of this. I will be modifying it slightly since it's just a tad bigger. For the hanging part I was going to just hang it from a carabiner from the bottom. Para-cord is rated for about 550lbs (otherwise known as 550 cord) so I don't see weight being an issue. Anyone see any problems with this? Have experience making a drying rig for a carboy?

I made few rope haulers, but with different knobs.
There is no reason why your design wouldn't work.

P7080359 (Small).JPG

P6020188 (Small).JPG

Cool! It kind of remids me of making plant hangers from cordage back in art class in grammar school.

I make a hammock from parachute cord years ago that's light weight easy to carry in a pack and works just fine. So, a full carboy is nothing the parachute cord can't handle. Also, I remember my dad fixing fishing nets the same way too, with smaller line of course!

Thanks for the idea! I was planning on stitching up a carrier out of some nylon straping, but to heck with that. I'm going to make one tonight out of a hank of cord I have in the garage. Recycling some pieces of old siphon tubing for the handles is sweet too. It will probably cost me $3.

Any online military surplus store/ rock climbing/out doorsy type place should have it. Stuff comes in real handy it's got about a million uses and is incredibly strong.

You can get 100ft lengths for around $8-10 plus shipping. They sell big spools also. The price is one reason why I wanted to do it. Plus I like doing things myself if I can.

BTW How many feet did you use for that? Would 100 be enough?

Back