What would be the style of this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntX

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I brewed this back in march, and I'm trying to figure of what "style" it would be.

Recipe Type: Trying to figure out!
Yeast: Safale S-04
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: ~26
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 13 (Amber/Brown)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 20 days, ~68F.
Tasting Notes: Biscuity, Malty, and Fruity all at once!

8 Pounds of Munich Malt (84%)
1 Pound Gambrinus Honey Malt (11%)
8 Oz Molasses (5%)

1 Oz Saaz added at 60, 45, 15, and 5.

1 tbsp Irish Moss Added for last 15 min

Mash Temp: 154F

Gallons in boil: Full Boil (BIAB)

Gallons in fermenter: ~5

ABV: ~4.0%

I also added blueberries in the secondary for about a week, and bottled with another 8 oz of Molasses. Quite unique brew, but I just don't know where it would fit as far as its fruity / mostly munich-grain-bill and molasses.

Thanks! :mug:

I don't have an answer to your question, but I saw that this post has not yet received any replies in the 50 minutes it has been up, so here I am.

Was that a total of 4oz Saaz? Or 1/4oz at each addition?
How did you process the blueberries and how many?

It doesn't meet any defined style as it's a German ale except for the molasses, English yeast strain, and fruit. If you have to categorize it, it can be a "fruit beer" style 20A although the molasses means it's also out of style there when you name a "base style".

I don't have an answer to your question, but I saw that this post has not yet received any replies in the 50 minutes it has been up, so here I am.

Was that a total of 4oz Saaz? Or 1/4oz at each addition?
How did you process the blueberries and how many?

I'm not the impatient kind, but I do appreciate your post! ;)

I did put 4oz total, for the aroma. It really helped balance the fruit out.

I've added about 6 pounds of blueberries (frozen, which I picked last year) in the secondary.

It doesn't meet any defined style as it's a German ale except for the molasses, English yeast strain, and fruit. If you have to categorize it, it can be a "fruit beer" style 20A although the molasses means it's also out of style there when you name a "base style".

Ah! Thanks for the cue.

Well, that's about 3 volumes of CO2 according to my calculations. The molasses had about 75% sugars, so I had to put more than say regular table sugar. :)

Back