How do homebrew busts go down in MS and AL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they did, which I doubt they really even do, it would be like this....sort of keystone coplike. They show up for something else like pot, and then go, "Holy Smokes, he's making a "spiritus substance which will more than likely make him blind...so I must bust him for that too."

or like what happened to some of our members at ohio university

http://www.examiner.com/x-241-Beer-...ted-after-seemingly-being-set-up-by-officials

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. From the end of that video:

"You can probably brew this stuff for a long time and not hurt anybody. But the first time that you brew it and and you don't get your recipe exactly right the concoction you make could at the very least blind somebody and worst case scenario kill the person that's drinking it. The concoction he was making could be deadly. Sure didn't look good."

Blah. I'm at work and can't see the video. Were they simply brewing or were they distilling? Because that's total BS if they were just brewing. If they were distilling, then they MIGHT have been able to get enough methanol in their brew to hurt someone, but then only if they were REALLY bad with their initial fermentation. I highly doubt it.

Uhhh... the last time I checked only specific kinds of alcohol can cause blindness - and it has to be a high concentrations. Sounds like typical discriminatory assumptions to me.

the video was 18 yrs old Not many people knew a thing about brewing beer. I bet the pot charges stuck but the "moonshine" allegation was dropped .

Blah. I'm at work and can't see the video. Were they simply brewing or were they distilling? Because that's total BS if they were just brewing. If they were distilling, then they MIGHT have been able to get enough methanol in their brew to hurt someone, but then only if they were REALLY bad with their initial fermentation. I highly doubt it.

I saw keggles. And a couple of cornies. They used the word "still" a lot, but it sure looked like a brewing setup to me.

That's be funny if the pot plants were actually cascades germinating. heh.

It's a pretty famous clip that we've discussed here ad nauseum. They show papazian's book, kegging equipment, mash tun, jockeybox,etc. It's really clear that he's a homebrewer, and the police have no understanding of the difference between homwbrewing and distilling.

There are still folks in the law enforcement community who still know very little. There's been threads about drive ups while brewing, and people suspiciously eyeing thier brewing equipment. Especially now that some folks cook meth in 10 gallon coolers, just like we mash in (they turned one up bubbling away in my town last summer, I guess they set em up in parking lots and let them cook or whatever they do overnight.)

Hence why some states still can't get out hobby legalized, there is still a lot of ignorance out there.

I saw keggles. And a couple of cornies. They used the word "still" a lot, but it sure looked like a brewing setup to me.

That's be funny if the pot plants were actually cascades germinating. heh.

to the uninformed it could very well look like a still setup . Couple of pots a coil of copper a burner ... today I bet some would think meth lab

I've only lived in MS for two years, but i've never heard of anyone getting busted. I know there was some hesitation here to start a brew club for fear of getting hassled, but i do think it's more of a 'what if' than something that has actually happened.

In fact, i didn't realize it was illegal to brew in oklahoma until recently when they started to get the law changed. I thought it was legal since there were home brew stores operating right out in the open. I don't think anyone ever demanded a client list from the owners so they could catch those that illegally added yeast to wort.

last summer my oldest had her B day party,and one of her friend's dad is a cop, and all us guys were out in my garage B.S.'n and I pulled out an oz. of home grown cascades and handed it to him. I said "check this out,would you bust me for this" he just looked at it for a moment,then looked around at the other guys who all know I brew and they were hops. any ways,we all had a good laugh and to this day I bet he still wonders if it was pot or not. and it is still NOT legal here in OK. funny stuff,he smelled it,looked around...then smelled it,then looked around. ...then smelled it. everyone was just trying not to bust out in laughter.

last summer my oldest had her B day party,and one of her friend's dad is a cop, and all us guys were out in my garage B.S.'n and I pulled out an oz. of home grown cascades and handed it to him. I said "check this out,would you bust me for this" he just looked at it for a moment,then looked around at the other guys who all know I brew and they were hops. any ways,we all had a good laugh and to this day I bet he still wonders if it was pot or not. and it is still NOT legal here in OK. funny stuff,he smelled it,looked around...then smelled it,then looked around. ...then smelled it. everyone was just trying not to bust out in laughter.

Get enough saaz at low enough alpha acid levels and you could very well have tricked him.

The laws are strange.... It's even illegal to distill vinegar.

I've been questioned twice by the State police about the "pillar of smoke" (it was during our buzzards and in their defense is was A LOT of steam coming off them) coming from my garage.

They were looking for Meth...they found a chubby guy in slippers making beer.

I gave them brews (which they drank so that on-duty thing is crap) and told me which of my neighbors were the nosy ones.

I figure now they know I brew beer I can fund my brewery dream by making meth...just need to find a good recipe :mug:

I've been questioned twice by the State police about the "pillar of smoke" (it was during our buzzards and in their defense is was A LOT of steam coming off them) coming from my garage.

They were looking for Meth...they found a chubby guy in slippers making beer.

I gave them brews (which they drank so that on-duty thing is crap) and told me which of my neighbors were the nosy ones.

I figure now they know I brew beer I can fund my brewery dream by making meth...just need to find a good recipe :mug:

There were buzzards circling your steam column?

You have nothing to worry about. The state of Alabama is in a huge money bind right now. Individual counties could seek out brewers, but it's a waste of time compared to seeking out marijuana growers. Even then the extent they search is little unless they have prior knowledge of the situation. As a matter of fact Alabama's attorney general cares more about who controls a special task force on e-gambling and what you do in your bedroom than he does about beer. I think you'll do fine. Not one person I've met in my home state has given me flack or bad vibes from brewing. Everybody is in strong support so I don't feel at risk for the most part.

Im pretty sure there is a homebrew store in Birmingham too. So there it must not be that big of a deal. Brewing could be considered like mushroom spores which aren't illegal until used under certain circumstances. You can legally possess all the ingredients to make beer in AL, but its likely illegal to put them together. However who is going to stop you? These aren't prohibition times and we're in the south. Just don't be flamboyant about it.

Wow, I realize this video is almost 20 years old, but that is pucky, just plain cop ignorance. I live in a very upity neighborhood, and I''m not upity. I do have good relations w/ my neighbors and have had conversations w/ the immediate ones about me brewing beer and I'm not a meth head. Still, last week brew day, middle of the day, TEN, yes TEN cops swarm my house. guns drawn, me, SWMBO, and 3 buddies hit the deck. Needless to say they were all agro, freakin out and yelling. With the track record of P-town area cops lately, I thought I was gonna get a bullet in the head. After some tense moments they cuffed me, stood me up, then started asking questions while cops are picking up all my equipment. They look at my wort chiller and ask "what the hell is this?" they go through my whole garage and house...illegally. I'm trying to explain "it's just beer, sir" I get the "ya right, tell us what you're really doing" I said "look I'll show you, it's time for a hop addition" I grab the bowl of hops, cop grabs me, smells, "that's marijuana" I'm like "no sir, hops" I get "I'm a police officer, I know what marijuana smells like (it was cascade)" Some more tense moments, I explain that I'm within my legal right, they have no real probable cause and that they need to get the hell off my property. They leave in a huff, neighbors are all out checking the scene out....embarressing to say the least! they sat across the street from my house for the next 2 hours spying on us. I have filed a complaint w/ the police department and am not putting up w/ BS.

You have nothing to worry about. The state of Alabama is in a huge money bind right now. Individual counties could seek out brewers, but it's a waste of time compared to seeking out marijuana growers. Even then the extent they search is little unless they have prior knowledge of the situation. As a matter of fact Alabama's attorney general cares more about who controls a special task force on e-gambling and what you do in your bedroom than he does about beer. I think you'll do fine. Not one person I've met in my home state has given me flack or bad vibes from brewing. Everybody is in strong support so I don't feel at risk for the most part.

Im pretty sure there is a homebrew store in Birmingham too. So there it must not be that big of a deal. Brewing could be considered like mushroom spores which aren't illegal until used under certain circumstances. You can legally possess all the ingredients to make beer in AL, but its likely illegal to put them together. However who is going to stop you? These aren't prohibition times and we're in the south. Just don't be flamboyant about it.

There was a homebrew store in birmingham until last weekend. Now it's in pelham but still close. www.alabrew.com

Side note I waive at my cops as they drive by when I'm in the garage brewing. I do have one who hates me so I do block my garage view a bit by my pickup just incase.

Wow, I realize this video is almost 20 years old, but that is pucky, just plain cop ignorance. I live in a very upity neighborhood, and I''m not upity. I do have good relations w/ my neighbors and have had conversations w/ the immediate ones about me brewing beer and I'm not a meth head. Still, last week brew day, middle of the day, TEN, yes TEN cops swarm my house. guns drawn, me, SWMBO, and 3 buddies hit the deck. Needless to say they were all agro, freakin out and yelling. With the track record of P-town area cops lately, I thought I was gonna get a bullet in the head. After some tense moments they cuffed me, stood me up, then started asking questions while cops are picking up all my equipment. They look at my wort chiller and ask "what the hell is this?" they go through my whole garage and house...illegally. I'm trying to explain "it's just beer, sir" I get the "ya right, tell us what you're really doing" I said "look I'll show you, it's time for a hop addition" I grab the bowl of hops, cop grabs me, smells, "that's marijuana" I'm like "no sir, hops" I get "I'm a police officer, I know what marijuana smells like (it was cascade)" Some more tense moments, I explain that I'm within my legal right, they have no real probable cause and that they need to get the hell off my property. They leave in a huff, neighbors are all out checking the scene out....embarressing to say the least! they sat across the street from my house for the next 2 hours spying on us. I have filed a complaint w/ the police department and am not putting up w/ BS.

Yeah! Now that is what I'm talking about!

That is some ****. You really, really need to find out which busybody on your street narc'ed, then find a good way to give them some of that same medicine.

Keep us updated. That is one heck of a story.

http://www.fermentarium.com/industry/alabama-alcohol-beverage-control-pays-homebrewer-a-visit/

Scott Oberman, a homebrewer, was contacted by L.A. Times reporter Stephanie Simon about homebrewing in Alabama. He thought this article could give good exposure to the homebrewing cause, and help raise awareness. The article, complete with pictures and full names, detailed homebrewing in Alabama. The article spread across the internet and was seen around the world. Score one for the homebrewers? Not so fast.
The article also caught the attention of the Alabama Alcohol Beverage Control board (ABC). Guess who paid Scott Oberman a visit?

Now Scott Oberman fears for his life. He stands to lose joint custody of his daughter, and his security clearance job. “At this point, I am very close to the decision to completely give up the best hobby in the world until such time that it is no longer illegal here in AL. This is a decision that I have not taken lightly, but my family has to come first.” says Oberman in a Free the Hops forum . If Alabama wanted to, the state could quickly ruin his life to make an example of him – all because he makes his own beer. He doesn’t want to test the case in court. That was never his intention. He is now facing the reality that he must give up the hobby he loves. Can you believe this is happening in America?

Yeah! Now that is what I'm talking about!

That is some ****. You really, really need to find out which busybody on your street narc'ed, then find a good way to give them some of that same medicine. QUOTE]

It's kinda weird cause my place is pretty secluded and my immediate neighbors seem pretty cool. I've even given some of them my brew, and they thought it was cool and liked it a lot. The town I live in (not from here, moved here bout 3 years ago) is an island of people that are way too rich, way too nosey and way too much time on their hands, most of my neighbors don't work, live off of old money and think their **** doesn't stink. The rest of the Portland Metro area is pretty laid back and chill w/ most things. It's a joke w/ all my friends and family that we live here, SWMBO and I grew up in a cow/logging town of about 5000 people. But mostly we love living here, on the river, never lock our doors and it's beautiful. The cops/court have an attitude of "not in our city" kind of thing. When I went into the station/courthouse the day after this happened, I was civil, intelligent and calmly explained what happened. I met up w/ the police chief later that day and he gave me the "try and see this from our point of view BS" I believe in being morally right and have respected the law as much as possible my whole life, but there is some serious problems w/ stuff like this happening. I got soo pissed at the chief after talking for a bit I just filed my complaint and left. I have noticed increased drive bys of my house, I guess I pissed the chief off. We really do live in a police state and they ultimately can do whatever they want. BS I say:confused:

It's kinda weird cause my place is pretty secluded and my immediate neighbors seem pretty cool. I've even given some of them my brew, and they thought it was cool and liked it a lot. The town I live in (not from here, moved here bout 3 years ago) is an island of people that are way too rich, way too nosey and way too much time on their hands, most of my neighbors don't work, live off of old money and think their **** doesn't stink. The rest of the Portland Metro area is pretty laid back and chill w/ most things. It's a joke w/ all my friends and family that we live here, SWMBO and I grew up in a cow/logging town of about 5000 people. But mostly we love living here, on the river, never lock our doors and it's beautiful. The cops/court have an attitude of "not in our city" kind of thing. When I went into the station/courthouse the day after this happened, I was civil, intelligent and calmly explained what happened. I met up w/ the police chief later that day and he gave me the "try and see this from our point of view BS" I believe in being morally right and have respected the law as much as possible my whole life, but there is some serious problems w/ stuff like this happening. I got soo pissed at the chief after talking for a bit I just filed my complaint and left. I have noticed increased drive bys of my house, I guess I pissed the chief off. We really do live in a police state and they ultimately can do whatever they want. BS I say:confused:

What is the law you are actually breaking? Because as someone else said until you put the yeast into the wort all you are doing is making sugar water.

What is the law you are actually breaking? Because as someone else said until you put the yeast into the wort all you are doing is making sugar water.

Well, I live in Oregon, which is like most states in that brewing is LEGAL, up to xxx galllons a year. So I was breaking no laws by brewing. The cops just thought for some reason that I was cooking meth or god knows what they thought I was doing. NZ seams like a great place to live, SWMBO just told me yesterday that she wants to move there for a while. Distilling is legal there, right? Might have to head over.

my favorite part of the video is the clip with Papazian's book.

I have a bayou classic and 8 gal brew pot. my neighbor always thinks I am frying a turkey... guess he thinks I eat A LOT of turkey...?

and to think it could be meth... who would really cook in an open garage, during the day, on a Saturday(think most people brew on Sat), in an urban area?

my favorite part of the video is the clip with Papazian's book.

I have a bayou classic and 8 gal brew pot. my neighbor always thinks I am frying a turkey... guess he thinks I eat A LOT of turkey...?

and to think it could be meth... who would really cook in an open garage, during the day, on a Saturday(think most people brew on Sat), in an urban area?

BUt nobaody would think anybody would be that stupid to cook meth in their driveway on a weekend so nowbody would ask:drunk:
Yeah you can do pretty much anything here in NZ i think, I was reading over or liquor licensing laws and as I read it it sound like you can sell liquor to a person that you have invited for a stay at you premisise without a liceense as long as it under so many people or something (so homestays don't need a license is the reason for this) Now I just need to go make that tin shed outback into a bar!

Didn't home brewing just pass in Montgomery? Could have sworn they made it legal.

No it didn't.

The last guy to get busted in Alabama was at least ten years ago. If I remember correctly he was doing a lot of other things and they just found the beer stuff and threw the book at him at that point.

Wow, some of those harassment stories, remind me of a few gun owner harassment stories here in Canada.
Illegal searches and cops not knowing what the law really is etc.
I never really thought about all grain equipment looking like distilling equipment, good point. Mind you there are lots of shine makers still around this neck of the woods and I don't think they have ever had any serious consequences.

In fact a couple of years ago a couple here started a legit distillery and their main product is called "Strait Shine" (their distillery over looks The Northumberland Strait) It is based on old local shine recipes.

Interesting. I'm not an attorney, but you might want to have some dialog with one. If it was me I'd be spitting blood and seeking punitive damages for the distress--notwithstanding their obligation to adhere to the law (civil liberties, etc.) and any cause for concurrent legal address.

Interesting. I'm not an attorney, but you might want to have some dialog with one. If it was me I'd be spitting blood and seeking punitive damages for the distress--notwithstanding their obligation to adhere to the law (civil liberties, etc.) and any cause for concurrent legal address.

I'm all for sticking it to the man, but I think it will be much more trouble than it's worth. I expect no more problems from them, I'll end it there, but a part of me really wants to do something about it. The beer I was brewing that day is looking pretty good, maybe I'll drop a sixer off at the police station with a nice "pig porter" label on it. haha

That's right, land of greed, home of the slaves. Nice surname BTW, you're an architect right?;)

I'm all for sticking it to the man, but I think it will be much more trouble than it's worth...maybe I'll drop a sixer off at the police station with a nice "pig porter" label on it. haha

I would tend to agree with you. I'm an attorney, but not of the civil rights kind so couldn't help you with any actual claims you might have, but I suspect your case wouldn't get very far. The police are generally give pretty wide latitude in conducting their job and since no one was physically injured and no damage to property it would probably not be very worth it to you to pursue any sort of claim. Yes, their search could have been totally unconstitutional (so that if they found anything in your house it might not be admissible) but I suspect the grief the cops/neighbors would give you if you tried to pursue anything would be pretty unbearable.

You are still totally justified in being completely pissed off at the cops and whomever it was that called in the 10-man SWAT team on you. Sounds like completely unnecessary behavior.

Thanks for the input, I was thinking along the same thing you expressed. My buddy is a USC law school grad, I gave him a call and he said let it slide. Stuff like this happens a hundred times a day in the US. I can roll on, so another disapointing thing learned from our system.

I'm old. I couldn't tell you what meth looks like. I'm a stamp collector.

Quoted because it made me laugh. :mug:

Jughead- Time for my unsolicited advise. I would attempt to make friends with the cops. Yes, they did you wrong. Yes, they were breaching the law. Is that really going to go well with you? Invite the officers over for a beer and or pizza. Have commercial stuff available, so they don't think you spit it in or something. Offer homebrew afterward. I have had problems with neighbors that seem to work out after a neighborhood BBQ. I am sure you are being civil, and in my experience, the more civil the better. Even if you are absolutely right. Besides, cops usually have pretty cool stories to listen to.

... then give them the "pig porter". :)

No it didn't.

The last guy to get busted in Alabama was at least ten years ago. If I remember correctly he was doing a lot of other things and they just found the beer stuff and threw the book at him at that point.

It was 2 years ago.

Doesn't anyone read my posts? I might as well start a blog.

Back