High Grav Attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStooge

Reaction score
Hi all, just got done pulling a test of a big barley wine and thought I'd get some feedback on my attenuation figures. To keep it simple, it's a partial mash batch which between the two is about 25% wheat (just to add a bit of a soft edge to it) The mash made for about 1/2 the sugars in the total batch which came in at 1.100 OG. Now my mash was a bit loose at first, getting hot, then cold +/- 8 degrees perhaps, but within about 15 minutes I had it stable @ 151. I let it go for 75 minutes all together. For yeast I used 2 vials of wlp500 (one was a bit old so I figgured just as insurance...) started in about 3 pints of basic wort. This will have been 4 weeks ago, with temps hanging around 60-65 for the most part, as of this weekend so I was about to move it to secondary for some long aging and decided to check it's progress. As of now, I'm sitting about 1.030 so right about 70% atten. I was rather hoping to see more like 1.020 for a final, and I understand the Trappist is known for some high marks. Anything more I might try at this point to give it just a few more points down?

I've never used that yeast but, I would try to get the temperature up around 70 if possible, and maybe rouse the fermentor a little. I don't know if it's possible to determine how much non-fermentable sugar is in your extract, but if you did know that you could get a better idea of what to expect for attenuation.

60F is too low for that yeast. Don't move it to the secondary yet. Rouse the yeast and raise the temperature to 70-72F.

Ramp that chimay yeast up, I actually finish my belgian beers with that yeast strain in the upper seventies and they taste great and get huge attenuation. 1.095 OG down below 1.010...

Good deal, I did have a belt on it for a while but got a bit worried about it turning fruity when it started sitting at 75 for a couple days. Most yeast I've used are best kept sub 70 to avoid it throwing off too much esters/fusal/etc. Shall give that a while and see where it ends up. Thanks :mug:

Back