Need Feedback: First Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyO

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I was hoping to get some feedback on a recipe. I haven't designed a beer yet until now. Until this point, I've been following recipes from other members on here as well as recipes from Brewing Classic Styles.

In addition, this will be my first lagering attempt.

I am a big fan of Brooklyn Lager, and wanted to brew something up that alley. Here's what I came up with:

9 lbs. 2-row
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
12 oz. Crystal 120L
1 oz. Hallertauer 4.3% (60 min)
1 oz. Saaz 3.5% (20 min)
1 oz. Cascade 5.4% (Dry Hop)
1 oz. Vanguard 5.8% (Dry Hop)
White Labs American Lager WLP840

So what do you guys think? Any encouragements? Criticisms? Suggestions?

I think you are a bit heavy handed on the dark crystal malt. I would back that way down or even get rid of it all together. That is also a lot of dry hops, which will make for a bit hop aroma (fine if that is what you are aiming for).

Thanks for the input. As per the style guidelines, I agree that the Crystal is a little off. I only went with it as the Brooklyn website, while not giving the ingredient lists, states that there are "caramel notes in the finish". How else can I go about achieving that?

Their lager is more hoppy than your typical lager, so I believe I want to stick with the 2 oz., although I guess it could be scaled back to 1.5 oz.

In Beersmith, I took out the Cara120 and added a 1/4 lb of Cara60, but it falls below the color in style guidelines.

What about a 1/4 lb of Carafa I?

What style are you going for? Dry hopping a lager with cascades, wouldn't fit in any BJCP style anyway. There is nothing wrong with ignoring the guidlines and brewing a beer to the flavor you want. For your first recipe I wouldn't worry about hitting color.

Oh i definitely agree. I don't need to stay within guidelines, but I'd like to brew within them in case I brew something that I really enjoy and want to enter into a comp. It's best to be as close to style guidelines as possible.

I played around with it last night in beersmith. Right now, it's standing at 5lbs of 2-row, 5 lbs of Vienna and a lb of Caramel 60. It just sneaks into the bottom of the color guidelines.

As for the hop aroma, I may scale back the amounts used, and possibly switch the cascade into the bittering hops.

Latest posts

Back