6 best beers for this fall, as rated by CNN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The title: 6 best beers for this fall

Later it goes from the 6 best to...
Here are a few of [Stan] Hieronymus' [author of "Brew Like a Monk" and the editor of Realbeer.com] picks that any true beer lover should have on his radar:
  • Fuller's: Vintage Ale
  • Anchor Brewing: Our Special Ale
  • Sierra Nevada: Celebration
  • Affligem Brewery: Affligem Noel
  • Brooklyn Brewery: Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
  • Great Divide Brewing Company: Hibernation Ale

I'm sure Stan has a bigger list with more regionals and it just got edited down by the author. It's gotta be hard for most people to get all of these beers.

Holiday seasonals are not my fave but I do concur with Sierra Nevada: Celebration.

obviously CNN's list has a liberal agenda. When will Fox News be releasing their fair and balanced beer list? :D

olllllo said:
Does Halliburton make a beer?

It's actually Fortune magazine's content.

Yes they do but the hop oil spills are just awful.

Fortune is in cahoots with CNN Money. There, I worked the word "cahoots" into my vocabulary for the day.

todd_k said:
obviously CNN's list has a liberal agenda. When will Fox News be releasing their fair and balanced beer list? :D

Coulter Kölsch?
Hannity Hefeweizen?
Bush Bock?
O'Reilly Rye?

Hmm...I may be on to something here...

3712-HBSAseal.gif

MarkUsBrew said:
I agree on the Affligem Noel - great stuff!!

I've had Affligem's Tripel (and loved it), but nothing else. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Noel.

Sierra Nevada Celebration is always one of my favorites! This year I will be buying a good supply of it, as well as brewing my clone. Yummy stuff for sure!

Back from the dead thread...

I do agree that the Hibernation Ale is a good one, but I don't sincerely think it's for fall only. I'd actually like a recipe for this one. It's a good light evening beer with a nice ABV. IMHO anyway. Anyone else had this?

Ize

You know, this write up:

"Anchor Brewing: Our Special Ale

It's hard to say exactly what you'll be getting from a bottle of this seasonal brew because the recipe changes annually, and the San Francisco brewer keeps its ingredients top secret.

"Some years is has a lot of spruce in it," says Hieronymus. "Sometimes you get notes of cinnamon."

Which means that you may like one year more than another. True beer enthusiasts treat this ale as though it were vintage wine, tucking a few bottles away in a cool, dark cellar to allow flavors to change and ripen over time."

The same can be written about almost any good homebrew...:D :mug:

Ivan Lendl said:
I love the celebration ale. And I have a recipe for the brooklyn chocolate stout

Care to post that recipe? Or is it posted and I'm an idiot?
edit> I guess they make a 'normal' chocolate stout, and that is the recipe you posted, because your's would not yield a ~9% beer or whatever their Black Chocolate Stout is. I guess I could just up the base malt to get there(ala' Jamil Z)? I wonder if that's what they do?

Back