Book or resource for malts/hops and what flavors they add to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeF

Reaction score
I'm new to all grain and would like to formulate my own recipes. Is there a source that lists malts and hops and the flavors they add to beer? Or malts/hops in combination and their affect on beer? I guess the hops would be broken down into when they were added. There seems to be a wide range of subtle flavors in beer that I'm trying to better understand.

Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels would be your ticket. Does a ton of profiles on malt, hops, water and what to do with them. Great to have around for reference.

dude z987k you just made my year with that beer style guidlines in your signature... that is like everything i wanted to ever know about beer... well not really but its helpfull

It's just the bjcp style guidelines, I put it there to hopefully help people out especially in cases like of lets say an irish red note some points that really are not key(they seem intuitive to the style), but are very very commonly done wrong:
9D. Irish Red Ale
Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, generally caramel-like
but occasionally toasty or toffee-like in nature. May have a
light buttery character (although this is not required). Hop
aroma is low to none (usually not present). Quite clean.
Appearance: Amber to deep reddish copper color (most ex-
amples have a deep reddish hue). Clear. Low off-white to tan
colored head.
Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occa-
sionally with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes
with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic
dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some
examples may have a light English hop flavor.
Medium-low
hop bitterness
, although light use of roasted grains may in-
crease the perception of bitterness to the medium range.
Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions
can be very smooth). No esters.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although exam-
ples containing low levels of diacetyl may have a slightly slick
mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Smooth. Moderately at-
tenuated (more so than Scottish ales). May have a slight alco-
hol warmth in stronger versions.
Overall Impression: An easy-drinking pint. Malt-focused
with an initial sweetness and a roasted dryness in the finish.

Now there is no need to follow guidelines, we can be very creative as craft brewers, but an Irish red is not hoppy, if you make it hoppy, it is no longer an Irish red. Further, it's not estery and neither is damn near every lager on top of that. I think homebrewers have the hardest time with this... fermenting too high of a temperature... And a fair amount of brewpubs to :confused:

I think Designing Great Beers is a rather limited resource - it's great if you've got it, but I wouldn't go out and buy it if your only goal is to get to know malt profiles... it only covers a handful, and not in any more detail than you can get online just about anywhere.

DGB is a great book, but I think its reputation overstates its value at this point in homebrewing science - what it did to get us here can't be overstated, but it's a little too dated to be overwhelmingly useful as a resource. Not because it's all that old, but because homebrewing has advanced rapidly since its publication.

It is, however, extremely valuable as a general instruction book on how to think about beer and brewing, but on the specifics it's no longer that useful.

Latest posts

Back