Refractometer FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
I just kegged a wheat today and measured the FG with my refractometer and hydrometer. With the refractometer I get 5 brix, after accounting for the OG of 1.048 that reads as about 1.003. Meanwhile, the hydrometer reads at 1.011. Both are calibrated and temperature adjusted. Also, I am always within 2 points when comparing the two prior to fermentation.

Is this because I am measuring a wheat which typically have more particles in them than most other beers? This is the first time I have used my refractometer for FG calculations.

Refractometers can only provide a very rough approximation when alcohol is present. Trust hydrometer readings for FG.

I figured the hydrometer is more accurate, but I have read that most people are within a couple points when comparing the two devices. Just trying to figure out what is going on.

I used Beersmith's adjustment tool, Morebeers and some other site I found. They all had the same results. Both the refractometer and hydrometer have been recently calibrated in distilled water. Something is causing such a large discrepancy, my guess is that I made a wheat and the extra particles are causing issues with the refractometer, but I am not too sure if this is right or not. It is just a guess.

There's a fair chance that your OG was lower than you thought. A 1.034 OG and a 5 Brix would corrdspond to the 1.011 SG you reported. A lot depends on how confident you are of the 1.048 OG number.

Back