Keezer Build: Working on a Purchase List

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatBaldBeerGuy

Reaction score
Is there one already made? I looked through several other information threads so far and got a lot of great info on how to set up, balance, etc but nothing on what you actually have to buy to build a keezer?

I'd love some help on figuring out what exactly I need to be purchasing; so far I've gotten most of the basics down. I really love to plan things out before jumping into them so I am trying to get a feel for what exactly I'll need before I start buying. I plan on doing a ~7 Cu Ft freezer (have a used GE one for $125 I'll be buying before the weekend) and want to run 3-4 kegs on it:

Ball Lock Kegs (probably ~6)
Perlick Faucets (3 regular/1 Stout)
CO2 tank (5 Gal) how fast do these run out on a 3 or 4 keg setup?
Nitrous as I plan to run 1 stout tap (5 gallon tank?)
Gas lines and liquid lines (are the different or does it matter?)
Regulator/Distributor:

Here is one of my big questions: Should I use a single or double regulator; or should I go with a 4 way distributor? What are the +/- of the setups? Is it better to be able to control multiple CO2 paths? Or simply have one level and 4 shutoffs with a distributor?

I'm sure there are valves, connectors, etc that I am missing but that's where I am hoping to get some help with?

Any advice would also be greatly appreciated; I want to do this 1 time so "right" the first time is important to me :mug:

This was my part list from ritebrew.com when i built mine.

10lb. Aluminum CO2 tank - New
1 $79.49 $79.49
Drip Tray - Stainless - 14" wide
1 $29.99 $29.99
Kleen Plug
4 $3.09 $12.36
Perlick Perl Faucet - w/Flow Control
4 $42.49 $169.96
4-way Gas Distributor
1 $42.99 $42.99
Ball-Lock Liquid Keg Coupler - 1/4" barb
4 $4.59 $18.36
Ball-Lock Gas Keg Coupler - 1/4" MFL
4 $4.59 $18.36
Swivel Nut - 1/4" FFL to 5/16" barb
4 $1.69 $6.76
Primary CO2 Regulator
1 $53.49 $53.49
Shank Assembly 3" with 3/16" barb
4 $10.19 $40.76
Beverage Tubing - 3/16" - per ft.
40 $0.49 $19.60
CO2 Tubing - 5/16" - per ft.
15 $0.69 $10.35

I would recommend the flow control perlicks. you don't have to worry about line lengths that way, and they are only a little bit more expensive. wish they were stainless though.

beer and co2 lines are a bit different. that is good since i don't get them confused. :)

I would like to have gotten the dual regulator, but could not justify the extra cost at the time. The single works fine, and with the manifold, i am able to turn the flow on and off to certain kegs when i want to force carb for a day or something. I do recommend the manifold. get one with extra outlets. that is something i wish i had done.

Good luck!!

Excellent info, thanks! Those are exactly the details I was hoping for.

MFL connectors/barb connectors: Are these specific to the side? IE gas=mfl and liquid=barb? Or is one better than the other?

Are the flow control better than stainless? I don't really mind working through the correct line length but I just want to be sure I get the best I can to start with either way.

I have about $1000 to spend on this if needed so I don't mind putting a bit more toward equipment if it means a better setup or more flexibility down the road. I'm thinking a combination of a dual regulator and a couple 3 or 4 point distributors. That way I can run 2 different pressures through two different distributors for carbing or serving, etc. Does that sound like a smart plan or a waste of resources?

Thanks again, any ideas or assistance from those who have already done this is greatly appreciated! :mug:

The disconnects come in barbed or MFL. it is user preference. but you will need a barb to connect to the line, so you have to add the swivel nut with barb to the MFL connection. I did that on the gas side so i could use a CO2 hand dispenser if i needed to.

I have heard that the stainless perlicks are better than the chrome plated (the stainless can't peel), but so far i have been very happy with mine and have not had any problems. If you don't mind dealing with line lengths, go with the stainless. I like the flexibility the flow control allows.

If you have the cash, go with the dual regulator and a couple manifolds/gas distributors. Not a waste at all. but give yourself an extra outlet or two; you will appreciate that down the road.

swivel nuts are nice because you can take them on and off a million times, the downside is that they are more likely to leak if you forget to tighten them down. they also leak if you are moving equipment around. i'm a mechanic so these are no different really then a hydraulic line. barb will hold nicely and will not leak once tightened but are not really designed to be put on and off on a regular basis. more like a one shot deal.

Like T-Dan said, get a manifold and good regulator. if you plan on only 2-3 taps then get a 4 way manifold. the best way would be a regulator for each line. then you can control each keg and fine tune each one. but your in to more $$$

Excellent info, thanks to both of you. I'll go ahead and go with the MFLs and swivels just for peace of mind.

Couple more questions I've hit as I search:

1. Anyone have suggestions on where to get a Nitrogen tank filled? I found a CO2 location local to me but having trouble finding one for Mixed gas or Nitrogen.

2. Perlick Brass Plated SS faucets; are these as good as SS? I'd rather get Brass ones if possible for the appearance I was going for, but I don't want to have issues with them if they aren't as good.

3. I found this: http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...1694ST_four_product_secondary_regulator.shtml as a secondary regulator; anyone used this before? It looks like the proper solution for what I was trying to set up, just wanted to be sure it is worth it if I can first.

Thanks everyone!

1. Try an industrial gas supply place- we have Norco here in Montana and I'm sure there is an equivalent in MD. A welding/machine shop might swap Nitrogen as well.

2. I'm sure the brass plated will work wonderfully and look cool too. I believe they are the exact same as the SS version...just plated over with brass. They might not hold up for infinity quite the same as pure SS, but should be fine especially on the homebrewer scale. I think as long as you get a perlick (forward sealing) you will be quite happy.

3. Haven't used that regulator. I have this (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/double-gas-regulator.html) which is great for my 3-4 tap keezer. One reg controls whatever I'm carbing (or a high psi Soda or low psi Mead) and the other controls the rest of the kegs being dispensed. Your 4-tapper will give you greater control over each keg which could come in handy if you are looking to precisely control the carbonation of each keg. I just find a good middle ground for whatever is on tap and go with that.

Have fun with the build- make 'er look good!

1. you should be able to find nitrogen around any welding supply shop. nitrogen is becoming popular now because garages are using it to fill tires and other things.

2. That tap should be fine. i'm not expert on taps though.

3. if you get a good qualitly regulator, it will out last you. we have some at the shop i run that are well over 5years, used daily, and have yet to be repaired.

Back