stainless conicals in Oregon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
difference is he has the 14.5 gallon ones that I have never seen. Also has a thermowell on the 5 gallon, and that I have not seen on the ebay ones either. I'll have to look up how far Stafford is from Portland. MAybe I can take a look before buying

Stafford is south of I-205, just below Wanker's Corner.

You can't make this stuff up, people!

Will they hold pressure? If so it might be a good deal, otherwise happy to stick with a 15 gallon Corny for closed ferments and super easy CO2 tranfers.

Also like this "I designed these tanks to meet my exacting criteria." It looks like every other conical imported from China, who is he fooling?

Hi,

I am the one selling these conicals. Here are the answers to your questions:

- Are they the same ones you have seen on E-bay before now? No.

- Would they be okay to brew in? Yes. I have had no issues at all with them. They work great. If you have specific concerns, please ask.

- Will they hold pressure? No. They are not designed to hold pressure. I would recommend using the conical for primary fermentation, and take advantage of the bottom outlet to drop out the trub and yeast. If you want to carbonate naturally, you could drain the beer into your corney keg and seal it up when the specific gravity gets to where you need it for natural carbonation.

- These conicals are a sanitary design. Sanitary valves, sanitary welds, no threads. They are not the same as "every other conical." They cost a little more as a result.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions you may have.

I am putting together a website that will have more information about them. When they are all ready, in about 3 or 4 weeks, I'll be shipping them to people who have contacted me through Craigslist or the website.

This website will have more information as I get it built out (it is still "under construction" so please excuse its look right now) - stainless steel homebrew conical fermenter.

Cheers!

Hi,

I am the one posting these on Portland's Craigslist. I'll answer your question - Are they the same ones seen before on E-Bay? No. But they are new.

- Are they okay to brew in? Yes. My factory specializes in various sanitary stainless steel items for the food industry. I have used mine with no problems whatsoever. If you have specific concerns, please ask and I'll reply.

- Will they hold pressure? No, they are not designed to hold pressure. I would recommend using a conical for your primary fermenter, and take advantage of the bottom outlet to drop out the trub and yeast. When your SG drops to where you want to naturally carbonate, then you could transfer the beer out of the side outlet to your corney keg and seal it up for carbonation. This will give you all of what you want.

- Is it the same as "every other conical"? No - these conicals have sanitary fittings, valves, welds, finish and no threads to trap contaminants. But, they cost a bit more as a result. I have over 20 years brewing experience, both professional and home brewing, and put in the features that I know will make the most difference in beer quality.

I am putting together a website that will have more information about them. When they are all ready, in about 3 or 4 weeks, I'll be shipping them to people who have contacted me through Craigslist. Here is the website link (I apologize for the fact that it is still under construction). Stainless Steel Home Brew Conical Fermenters: www.conical-fermenter.com.

Cheers!

Will it be ok to secondary ferment is these as well? How do these differ from other conicals in the practical sense?

Thanks for joining us jawsbc! Could we get some more detailed pics of the interior and maybe the lid assembly? What is the width of these? Would you be able to fit two in a fridge? Thanks...

I see no reasons why you wouldn't use these as a secondary as well as a primary fermenter.

In a practical sense, there are no places for bacteria to hide or grime to build up. It is very easy to remove the valves, as well as disassemble and clean them internally. It is a fact that if it is hard to clean something, it won't get cleaned very often. Therefore, I made it easy to clean.

I put a number of pictures of the internal welds, thermowell, etc. on this website (I can't post pictures here yet): Pictures of Conical Fermenter www.conical-fermenter.com.

I'll add more as I get them taken.

I can do larger sizes as custom items, but it will take some time. Please send me your requirements (see the contact page on the website) and I'll get you a quote.

Cheers,

John

Wow, tell me more about the stainless brew kettle with coned bottom? Do you have pics of that?

wow i love your equipment, could you tell me the thickness of the walls of your products?

Thanks for your interest and questions. Here are answers to your most recent questions:

Dimensions:

14.5 gallon: approx. 39" h x 23" w (at the widest point - the two arms that go up the side). The 3 legs are equally spaced around a 16" diameter - so they are each 14" away from each other. The diameter of the conical is about 17" at the top.

7.3 gallon: approx. 35" h x 16-1/4" w (at the widest point from side to side on the arms, as above). The 3 legs are space around a 12" diameter, so they are each about 10" away from each other. The diameter of the conical is about 12.5" at the top.

Brew Kettle/Whirlpool for 10 Gallon Batches:

Yes - we can do custom tanks. Please send me a request through the website (www.conical-fermenter.com) and I'll put together a quote for you. For a brew kettle, I'd want to know the volume you want (15 gallons maybe?) and the maximum diameter of the kettle (note that the ring around the edge of the kettle needs to sit on your burner for stability).

Thickness of conicals and brew kettles:

The thickness of the conical tanks and brew kettles (7.3/14.5 gallon and 9.3 gallon sizes) are 1.2 mm. Other features have thicker material as required.

Thanks for the questions - Keep them coming!

Cheers,

John
Stout Tanks and Kettles
Portland, Oregon

Hi SpanishCastleAle,

The bottom dump valve is 3/4", with the true ID being closer to 5/8".

I have the items ready now and am shipping product.

Cheers,

John

John,

What size is your (D) Brew Kettle (9.2 gal)? D and H would be great!

I've been looking for a replacement for my Alu Turkey fryer, but want the replacment to fit (as best as possible) the frame of the heat source (LP burner) as it has a Temp controler that contacts the side of the brewing vessle.

Sorry if this drags this toppic off the orrigional...

The conical fermentor sure is nice... hmmmmmmm :cross:

I've got to take this one step at a time or I'll have a CC bill that will kill me.:D

Cheers!:mug:

Old thread to revive for one specific complaint with the 10 gal conical fermenter. It is terribly easy to knock over. Other than that. Very easy to use, very easy to clean and darn sexy looking. But, I'd hope that this matter of the legs is addressed in future designs of tall narrow vertical objects because it is something of a design error for clumsy humans, imho.

Back