First Two All Grain Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schaez

Reaction score
So I've finished up my long day of my first two all grain batches. I had done 6 extract batches before this, but this was my first full boil as well. It was a busy weekend. I started on Friday with a sankey keg, new 70 qt coleman xtreme, a roll of copper tubing and a bunch of parts. So after spending Friday and Saturday getting everything ready today I brewed a AHS Blue Moon Clone and a MoreBeer Belgian Trippel.

The AHS Blue Moon Clone was first and went real well. I was shooting for an OG of 1.046 (70% eff) and got 1.042 and the volume into the fermenter was dead on. One thing I did learn is that I should shoot for more than 1.25 qt/lb for the mash water so that I can fit all my sparge water in my 5 gal pot.

The Belgian Trippel went ok too, but I ended up with a little over 6 gal into the fermenter (using blow-off tube). I think I added too much water during the mash and not quite as much boil off. I also forgot to add the 5.2 pH stabilizer. My SG ended up being 1.054 with the recipe calling for 1.076 (75% eff).

Both batches came out around 64% efficiency which I'm thrilled with considering these are my first two all grain batches.

Update with pictures:
Converted Cooler
IMG_0114_2.jpg

Burner and Kettle
IMG_0117_2.jpg

Kettle
IMG_0119_2.jpg

Drinking - Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale (Partial Mash)
IMG_0120_2.jpg

Take a stick, dip it into your boiling kettle and mark the 5.5 and 7.5 gallon mark on it. That way you can keep boiling until you get 5.5 gallons if necessary and you can monitor the evaporation and increase or decrease the boil as necessary. I have found that the amount that boils off can vary significantly from batch to batch depending on humidity, etc. It can be very dry in the mountains of Utah and I can easily lose over a gallon in less than an hour. It takes a while but you'll get the hang of it.

Take a stick, dip it into your boiling kettle and mark the 5.5 and 7.5 gallon mark on it. That way you can keep boiling until you get 5.5 gallons if necessary and you can monitor the evaporation and increase or decrease the boil as necessary. I have found that the amount that boils off can vary significantly from batch to batch depending on humidity, etc. It can be very dry in the mountains of Utah and I can easily lose over a gallon in less than an hour. It takes a while but you'll get the hang of it.

Yeah, I need to get a stick to see the amount in the kettle, but I think this time had more to do with me goofing up on the amount of water with trying to start the second batch during the first one. I plan to cut back on pre-boil water for my next batch just to give myself more margin.

Back