Perlick warning??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supergus

Reaction score
I just received my new Perlick 525PC faucets from the good folks at Kegworks, and on the boxes is a sticker that states: " Warning: Consuming food or beverages that have been served from this dispenser will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of Cal. to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm"
WTF? Should I be worried? I would think that a faucet that is MADE to dispense beverages, would NOT contain lead?!

Supergus said:
I just received my new Perlick 525PC faucets from the good folks at Kegworks, and on the boxes is a sticker that states: " Warning: Consuming food or beverages that have been served from this dispenser will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of Cal. to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm"
WTF? Should I be worried? I would think that a faucet that is MADE to dispense beverages, would NOT contain lead?!

Only if you live in Calafornia.

Then you would be wrong. "Some" stainless alloys do contain lead. Usally the cheaper ones.

Hell, even the EPA discloses that "Lead-Free" <brass> plumbing parts can contain up to 8% lead.

Everything causes cancer in California. Hell, Amtrak cars out there have a sticker in the vestibule that says that diesel fumes cause cancer. All these things are true do doubt. But California feels the need to scare ya I guess.

You cheaped out a little and bought the faucets with plated chrome over brass. I'm sure they'll work fine but brass contains small amounts of lead.

Then you would be wrong. "Some" stainless alloys do contain lead. Usally the cheaper ones.[...]

"PC" models aren't stainless, they're chrome plated over brass.

And apparently not all "brass" is created equal. Some have much lower lead content than others, and CA wants the lead-free version...

Cheers!

CA does not follow the Fed when it comes to environmental law - it leads (<= ahahah! irony! ;) )

CA AB1953 dictates that pipes and fittings cannot contain more than 0.25 percent lead content...

Cheers!

Don't worry about it. Most faucets, like the ones in your kitchen and bathrooms have brass in them. The brass can have a small amount of lead in them and its just a new government mandate to be completely lead free. It is just California now, but will cover the rest of the country in 2014. They are completely safe.

IMHO, if it comes from the state of California, ignore it. If ingested in large quantities, just about anything will give you cancer. That state contains the largest amount of pus**es per capita and they have nothing better to do than inject copious amounts of anything into anything to see how long it takes to create cancer. From what you see on TV, it's amazing they don't all have boob, ass, and lip cancer with the amount of crap they inject into those parts.

*Disclaimer, these opinions are expressed solely by the individual typing them and in no way reflect the opinion of the State of California. Furthermore, excessive reading of the aforementioned posts could result in eyeball cancer, as tested by the State of California.*

if its a plumbing fixture or fitting it has that california warning, any material.

CA does not follow the Fed when it comes to environmental law - it leads (<= ahahah! irony! ;) )

CA AB1953 dictates that pipes and fittings cannot contain more than 0.25 percent lead content...

Cheers!

this is the correct amount of lead in no lead brass. I have no idea where anyone came up with 8%, as that would be more lead than is in leaded brass. it's added in a small amount to soften the metal to make it easier to machine, as lead is a soft metal. I'm fairly sure if you got 8% lead in it, it would stop being brass at all.

edit: to the op, don't worry about it. the manufacturer has to add that warning to comply with California state law, or they can't sell the product there. it doesn't mean it has a real risk of poisoning you. they just want you to be aware there is lead, however small the amount may be.

this is the correct amount of lead in no lead brass. I have no idea where anyone came up with 8%, as that would be more lead than is in leaded brass. it's added in a small amount to soften the metal to make it easier to machine, as lead is a soft metal. I'm fairly sure if you got 8% lead in it, it would stop being brass at all.

edit: to the op, don't worry about it. the manufacturer has to add that warning to comply with California state law, or they can't sell the product there. it doesn't mean it has a real risk of poisoning you. they just want you to be aware there is lead, however small the amount may be.

I have to correct myself. I had talked to a guy at work ( I work at a place that makes water works products) a while ago, and he had told me the amount of lead in the leaded brass was very small. today I thought about this thread and asked someone else about it, and apparently it's 15% lead. but the no lead stuff has to be one quarter of one percent or less lead on the whetted surface of any part that touches potable water. I still wouldn't worry about the brass faucets, people have been using them for years and they haven't died yet.

15%? Maybe in Third World countries, but even then I doubt it.

8% even is sketchy, according to lots of literature on the topic.

4% is getting closer to modern reality. 2% is even closer, and of course, going to .25% as already cited a couple of times..

Cheers!

15%? Maybe in Third World countries, but even then I doubt it.

8% even is sketchy, according to lots of literature on the topic.

4% is getting closer to modern reality. 2% is even closer, and of course, going to .25% as already cited a couple of times..

Cheers!

yeah, I thought it sounded high too. the guy I talked to is a supervisor, so I assumed he would know, but we aren't at the foundry, so maybe he doesn't know the make up of the metal. the first person I had talked to had made it sound like it was less than 5% but he said he didn't know exactly.

If you don't want them or if you're pregnant I will take them and put them to good use. Let me know and I'll PM you my address :mug:

Back