Not the worst job...... (total rant)-(venting)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighoss

Reaction score
So I don't have the worst job in the world, but I'm really beginning to hate it. It's getting to the point of me not wanting to even go to work at all. I started at the place I work a little over 6 years ago, and it's gone downhill from there. I'm a forklift operator at large produce distributor. When I got hired in my scheduled hours were 5am to 2pm. Which I loved because I had so much time left in the day to do stuff. But after about 5 years or so they had to layoff with the recession and all. Well that was the start of the downward spiral. After the laid off quite a few people they decided they needed to change our hours. Now I currently work 8am to 5pm. It's not totally horrible, but I'd still rather have the prior hours so that I could do everything that I used to. Along with the hour change, there has been an increase of having to work extra overtime. That's where it's really starting to get to me, along with other employees who think they don't have to do their required work which puts more pressure on myself and a few others. So all in all I'm really debating looking for another job, or maybe trying to go to management and try to get things changed back. The whole schedule change was to try and take the workload of the 2nd shift, but nothing has really changed. The shipment trucks are still coming in at later times. Which is still causing the 2nd shift guys to do the same amount of work with a lot less people. Just seems like nothing is improving, just getting worse. Ugh I feel a bit better after venting all that. If you've read it all thanks for that. :-D

I know this seldom helps in this line of work, but have to tried talking to your supervisor? Or his supervisor? Can you get everyone together to meet with management and let them know you're all being over worked and something needs to stop? I know it's scary knowing there are thousands out there waiting to take any job that opens, but if everyone gets on board (I know it's a pipe dream) I doubt they'd be willing to train a whole new staff.

I know the feeling. During 2008 & 2009 business was so slow that they layed off 14 people. Now that business has picked up they haven't hired anybody back. The people that are still there just have to work harder. At least I got a Christmas bonus this year. I ain't bitchin'... much.

I totally understand your issue with the hours. I worked midnights for almsot 7 years. It was great being able to do all my errands and stuff while everyone else was at work. On top of that, my days off rotated, so during the summer, I'd find myself off during the week, whic hwas great for going to empty beaches and not dealing with all the usual weekend traffic. But my switch was by choice, so I can't really complain about it.

Talk to your bosses. Sounds like a tall order trying to get things changed, but you never know unless you try right?

I know the feeling. During 2008 & 2009 business was so slow that they layed off 14 people. Now that business has picked up they haven't hired anybody back. The people that are still there just have to work harder. At least I got a Christmas bonus this year. I ain't bitchin'... much.

I would guess a large percentage of companies are in this boat. I think we lost about 30 people, and they've so far hired back maybe 5. Think any of us are seeing raises or bonuses for working our asses off? Nope. They just expect us to be grateful for them letting us work here. But 5 o'clock comes every day and Friday comes once a week, so it's not all bad I suppose.

Well I've been thinking about trying to go talk to upper management. But just haven't decided if it's really worth it. I can't really discuss the whole schedule thing with my main supervisors because them, and the warehouse manager were the ones that came up with the 8 - 5 schedule. One of the supervisors has benefited from the change a lot. He has went from 2nd shift to 10-7pm and has every weekend off. So I'm pretty sure he won't want it to switch back much at all. So I'm figuring my best bet is to try to have some sort of meeting with someone a bit higher up than the warehouse manager. Seems like the only logical answer to me.

Make sure to use the argument that the company can SAVE money by going back to the old way, either by efficiency, or no more overtime, or fewer hands (well, maybe not fewer hands). If you tell them how you will benefit, you lose. If you tell them how they benefit, everybody wins.

Like you said it could be worse you could have been part of the folks that got laid off. Back before I lost my job due to the crappy economy and the fact that the chemical plant I worked out blew up (sometimes being one of the highest paid employees is not good, even though I could get done as much work as two employees:off:) Anyways I was looking at going back to school and I worked 7-4 which made that very difficult. I approached by supervisor and explained to him that if they allowed be to come in earlier I could get more done (I was in charge of outgoing loads) because I could get my loads done early without being interrupted. This worked and they allowed me to come in early, so I guess what I am trying to say is if you find a good reason for the company to switch your hours it might work.

Anyways I am almost done with school so me getting laid off probably will help in the long run because I will have a degree in a field that actually has jobs available. :ban: Sorry off topic again but I am excited.

Back