Fermenter Types for Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opzo

Reaction score
I am about to get into home-brewing ... starting with hard cider. I still need a carboy (or a few of them) and I was wondering if anyone has tried the non-glass types. I saw one for sale online and I swear it was just a poland spring water jug with a vapor lock stuck into it.

Would using plastic like a water cooler jug introduce problems for me? I have seen several versions from Nalgene but I'd bet that water jugs are much easier and cheaper to come by, I am just not sure how much different their composition is. Any wisdom on this ... please.

Some people are staunchly against them and some aren't. Personally I am fine with plastic, as long as its a #1 for recycling codes.

A company called Better Bottles makes plastic carboys specially formulated for home brewing, Edwort uses them for his Apfelwein and I plan on doing the same. I have a glass carboy that would likely be better suited for long-term bulk aging as Better Bottles admits that their products have a higher oxygen permeability rate, although it's still next to nothing. BUT the better bottles won't break when I drop them in the tub as I'm cleaning them nor will they slash my wrists as the shards come flying towards me. That's why I use them.

OK - after some snooping, I have found 5.6gal water jugs at Sam's Club for about $5 each ... I can't beat that cost. However, I have read that some people have concerns about bacteria due to the porous surface of these water jugs, and the opening being less than optimal (shape?).

Has anybody actually tried using one?

You might also consider 4L Carlo Rossi glass wine jugs and make your cider in one gallon batches.

Why bother with that unless you really like the wine? You can buy cider in 1 gallon glass jugs too. I have a couple of those bubblin' away right now, sorry for the size:

20-photo.jpg

Back