OG at 1.050?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMonster

Reaction score
So I've been brewing for a while but have had problems getting or understanding how to read and calculate this.

I'll try to post a pic but it looks like my reading is riht under 1.050 am I reading this right? And of so, when I'm finished I will take another reading and subtract the previous and that will be my apx abv, is this right? Please help, lol. I made a stout with some pretty fair amount of fermentables and added 1 1/2 cup of pruning sugar to boost the abv then pitched adnnees Belgian yeast.

ForumRunner_20130121_171500.png

ForumRunner_20130121_171500.png

Open up this link to the ABV chart:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter9-4.html

The OG (original gravity) numbers are across the top. When you find the FG number after fermentation, just look across your FG row and read the ABV in your OG column.

There is an equation somewhere, but this is easier for me.

Sometimes, the OG measurement can be in error if the wort is settled somewhat. I usually get the OG from adding the gravity points of the various fermentables.

I'll try to post a pic but it looks like my reading is riht under 1.050 am I reading this right? And of so, when I'm finished I will take another reading and subtract the previous and that will be my apx abv, is this right?

close

OG is reading the amount of sugar in water compared to distilled water (which you should use to calibrate your hydrometer. distilled water at whatever temp your hydrometer is calibrated at should read 1.000)

FG is reading the amount of remaining sugar in water + alcohol

alcohol doesn't have the same density as water, so we have to fudge it a bit.

Papazian's formula is (OG - FG) * 131 = ABV%

I can't see your lines on your hydrometer, but it looks like you are reading it correctly. You are right around 1.049 or 1.050. Now do the same measurement when you think you are done (then again a few days later to ensure you are done) and the two numbers - entered into a calculator -will give you the ABV of your final product.

Without seeing the marks between 1.040 and 1.050 it is tough to read exactly where you're at, but you are correct that it looks close to 1.050, though I would bet it is closer to 1.048 or even 1.046.

ABV = (OG -FG) x 131

JLem said:
ABV = (OG -FG) x 131

Fyi. This approximation is good until you start making big beers. After a certain point (not sure exactly, maybe 1.070+) the approximation starts to fail. The formula is good for doing quick calculations in your head, but a calculator makes everything easier.

Without seeing the marks between 1.040 and 1.050 it is tough to read exactly where you're at, but you are correct that it looks close to 1.050, though I would bet it is closer to 1.048 or even 1.046.

ABV = (OG -FG) x 131

Ditto. 1.046 to 1.048.

You need to look at the smaller marks to the right (that we can't see in your picture). They are usually in .002 increments. e.g. you will have the large line for 1.040, then look at the smaller line for 1.042, 1.044, 1.046 and 1.048, then again the larger line for 1.050.

Back