Help me get a job at the brewery!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fightguy

Reaction score
I don't have any experience as a brewer, but I do have a passion and enthusiasm that cannot be matched when it comes to beer. Can someone help me with a cover letter for my resume that will help reveal how eager I am to learn the craft? The ad says that experience is not required.

By the way, this is for a brewer position at Alaskan Brewing Company

Thanks!

How about instead of a cover letter, you drive by and drop off a bottle or six of HB? A taste is worth a thousand words :D.

RadicalEd, I think that's a wonderful idea! fightguy, drop off your resume, along with some of your HB. If you have balls, maybe do a clone of one of their brews, like their Alaskan Amber and include that with your resume.

eviltwinofjoni said:
fightguy, drop off your resume, along with some of your HB.

That might be a recipe for disaster seeing as how he said he has no experience with brewing. Better to claim ignorance rather than demonstrate it.

True that. Anyways, I went and dropped off my application already. I explained to them that I don't have any experience but that I am eager to learn and am excited to learn every aspect of the brewing process. The lady I spoke with said those were a lot of what they were looking for in a brewer. We'll see how it turns out, but I am not getting my hopes up.

I appreciate your responses

I would have said to bring some rubber boots and offer to start on the spot. Tell them that you'll leave if someone better shows up. Also take a shower and dress nicely but ready to work (aka clean carhartts) don't bite your nails or pick your nose when anyone is looking. Pay attention to what they tell you and take notes if you are liable to forget.

heh, I just did a quick phone interview for a scientist position at a large winery...sounds like more fun than cleaning mash tuns.

Good luck at Alaskan Brewing if you get the job. Let them know how great their smoked porter is, and tell them to cut back on the carbonation in their ESB (save that one until you get some time in).

Thanks guys, they are accepting applications until the 29th and will be contacting people after that. I really shouldn't get my hopes up, but I have never been more excited for a job in my life. Brewing is something that I want to do as a career, and this sounds like an awesome opportunity for me. I really doubt that I'll get it though. :(

Even though this is Juneau, they will almost definitely find someone with some qualifications for the job (not near the enthusiasm though!!!)

McKBrew said:
Good luck at Alaskan Brewing if you get the job. Let them know how great their smoked porter is, and tell them to cut back on the carbonation in their ESB (save that one until you get some time in).
The Smoked Porter is good this year, but it seems to get better with age. If you can't get any yourself, shoot me a pm and I am sure that I can help you out

Good for you chasing your dreams! If you have the ability an idea would be to do something like the American Brewers Guild Craft Brewer Apprenticeship Program, or one of their other distance programs. Or talk more to the folks at Alaskan and offer up some services free of charge to them. Sure, you may be sitting knee deep in a mash tun cleaning it out, but you'll be there, in the environment and seeing what it really is all about and getting that foot in the door.

With my limited experience, I was able to get a job on the ground floor of an up and coming brewery in Wisconsin. I feel very lucky for the opportunity and am looking to start the 5th of November.

For whatever it's worth, here's the process I did (which got me pretty consistent replies of interest) to get my foot in the door. I looked up a list of breweries in WI and found the ones whose area I preferred. Then, I called each establishment and asked for the head brewer or manager/owner. After having a discussion with them about my experience and passion (experience limited, passion, not!) for brewing.

If they liked how the conversation went, they'd ask me to e-mail my credentials to them. After writing a one-size-fits-all "love letter to beer," I sent that and a hand-tailored e-mail and my current resume to each prospective employer. In addition, I took it a step farther and bought my own domain and server space and my fiancee' who's very a very good web designer and graphic artist, worked with me to make a site that was essentially my online portfolio, complete with beer profiles.

Beyond that, it was just a matter of meeting the brewers/owners and making a good impression. For the record, even if you're turned down, it's not necessarily a totall loss; I happened to get a 6 pack from one of the brewers just for coming by. Can't go wrong with that! :mug:

Long story short, some combination of that must've worked because it looks like I'll get a chance to do my dream job in short order. I could never get tired of that smell of delicious mash throughout the place.

If you like, I can send you a link to my website and maybe that'll help give you one idea on how to approach that, if it's something you're up to.

Either way, best of luck my friend in beer!

EinGutesBier said:
With my limited experience, I was able to get a job on the ground floor of an up and coming brewery in Wisconsin. I feel very lucky for the opportunity and am looking to start the 5th of November.

For whatever it's worth, here's the process I did (which got me pretty consistent replies of interest) to get my foot in the door. I looked up a list of breweries in WI and found the ones whose area I preferred. Then, I called each establishment and asked for the head brewer or manager/owner. After having a discussion with them about my experience and passion (experience limited, passion, not!) for brewing.

If they liked how the conversation went, they'd ask me to e-mail my credentials to them. After writing a one-size-fits-all "love letter to beer," I sent that and a hand-tailored e-mail and my current resume to each prospective employer. In addition, I took it a step farther and bought my own domain and server space and my fiancee' who's very a very good web designer and graphic artist, worked with me to make a site that was essentially my online portfolio, complete with beer profiles.

Beyond that, it was just a matter of meeting the brewers/owners and making a good impression. For the record, even if you're turned down, it's not necessarily a totall loss; I happened to get a 6 pack from one of the brewers just for coming by. Can't go wrong with that! :mug:

Long story short, some combination of that must've worked because it looks like I'll get a chance to do my dream job in short order. I could never get tired of that smell of delicious mash throughout the place.

If you like, I can send you a link to my website and maybe that'll help give you one idea on how to approach that, if it's something you're up to.

Either way, best of luck my friend in beer!
Remember remember the 5th of november

good luck, don't ever give up on getting a job in your dream industry.
it makes life great when your work is something you love.

Big question is, though, what do these entry-level jobs pay? I heard it was in the $20k range ad damned near impossible to live on...

Where can you go to brew school? What is the proper term for it, so I can search local options.. Higher education INDEED!

El_Borracho said:
Where can you go to brew school? What is the proper term for it, so I can search local options.. Higher education INDEED!

See my post earlier in the thread...That's one option, then there is Siebel in Chicago, UCDavis in CA, and Germany!

coyotlgw said:
Big question is, though, what do these entry-level jobs pay? I heard it was in the $20k range ad damned near impossible to live on...

Um...$20k could very easily be the brewer's salary! But yes, please don't think it's a lavish lifestyle with a huge salary. I did a lot of research, interviews, etc when I was looking in to working at a brewery as well. Low pay, hard work, long hours. There are peerks too of course. It's all in what you want to do and what makes you happy. I took a huge pay cut moving from the east coast back west and from an office job at a law firm to a very low level position at a winemaker, but I'm a hell of a lot happier.

Dude said:
Their is also ABG. I am considering applying there when I get out of the AF.

Yep, that's what I was talking about in the earlier post I mentioned. I applied and was accepted for this years program. Sadly the funds were not there to pay for the program and I wasn't gonna pay 22% on a loan.

Maybe in the future. The folks there were great to speak with and work with. I had to return books, etc etc etc, but it was no problem.

Damn I want to go to school, but I don't want to leave Miami for it.. I have a family and career here (unix admin)..

ABG does online courses, i think?

Kilted Brewer said:
ABG does do a distance program. I believe you still need to plan on spending a week or two in VT though.

they do vermont and california for the labs portion.

They do CA now? Sweet. Maybe I didn't notice that cause at the time I was on the east coast, so I only noticed and remembered VT.

Anyone here go through the program?

Another guy from Juneau eh?

I saw the ad a while back but I don't have "Education/experience in brewing, food science, or related fields preferred." unless you count homebrewing.

I have a few friends at the brewery and have been thinking about applying for a job there eventually, even if it's just bottling.
coyotlgw said:
I think entry level positions at the brewery start at $13 or $14 (so around $24-25,000) at least in the bottling dept. I'd imagine starter brewer would make more. I could probably live on that just fine, not lavishly but I'm no big spender and don't have any dependents :p

SPLASTiK said:
Another guy from Juneau eh?

I saw the ad a while back but I don't have "Education/experience in brewing, food science, or related fields preferred." unless you count homebrewing.

I have a few friends at the brewery and have been thinking about applying for a job there eventually, even if it's just bottling.

I think entry level positions at the brewery start at $13 or $14 (so around $24-25,000) at least in the bottling dept. I'd imagine starter brewer would make more. I could probably live on that just fine, not lavishly but I'm no big spender and don't have any dependents :p
I'm not from Juneau, but I live here for the time being.

I felt the same way after seeing the ad in the Empire, but I thought "What's the worst they could say? No?". There's no way I could get the job if I didn't at least apply. Like I said, I don't have high hopes for getting it but I would have been kicking myself if I didn't at least give it a shot.

I would be giving up a pretty good job (for me) at the hospital if I got it, but at least I would be doing something that I love.

Whereabouts in Juneau do you live? We should go get a beer at the Hangar or something

coyotlgw said:
Luckily I am in a position where money isn't really an issue. I live practically rent-free in "Mel Gibson's Juneau house" so I don't have living expenses to speak of. Right now would be the perfect time to get a job in a brewery so that I can get the experience before I go back to the real world with rent and all of life's other expenses. If I weren't in the situation that I'm currently in, I probably wouldn't be able to afford to take a lower paying job at a brewery

Update!

I got an interview! I was curious if anyone who works as a Brewer could give me any tips on what to expect in the interview. Having worked in the medical field for the past 10 years, I came to know what to expect when interviewing for new jobs but I am totally in the dark about this, because it seems that none of my current skills translate into the brewing field.

They already know that I am not very experienced and that all I have to offer is a passion for brewing, but apparently they are interested in finding out more about me. This sounds like a dream job for me, so any input would be appreciated.

I seriously am so excited that I will probably lose sleep this weekend. This sounds like a dream job!!

Man, waiting to hear back from them after my interview is killing me. Hopefully they let me know one way or another tomorrow

Say a prayer for me!

BTW, the salary at Alaskan Brewing Co is 27K to 42.5K per year, depending on experience

I did send out a letter. In fact, it was in the mailbox right after I got home from the interview.

They actually called me this morning and said that they had narrowed it down to just a couple of people and they want me to come back in tomorrow at 1pm for a second interview. Wish me luck!

Back