Gregs gargantuan graduation grog!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregR

Reaction score
so next fall I'll finally be transferring to big kid school (UCSD) and I want to make a big ol' brew to age until graduation; whenever that may be. I'm thinking a nice big barley wine will do the trick but I'm open a other suggestions, be it a big RIS, a way over the top wee heavy, or what ever..

anyway, I'm looking for some suggestions for something that will age gracefully for minimum of two+ years.

I've never made a 'big' beer before and haven't done anything other than single infusion mashes. but I'm totally willing to try new things but am limited to mashing about 25lbs of grain. whatever a 10 gallon Gatorade cooler can mash is what I'm limited to. I can boil a large volume with my keggle and burner but am somewhat limited with temp control. just an ice chest with a hole cut out for the airlock. I can consistently keep it in the low 60's but that's about it.

so anyway, let the over the top suggestions flow!

so next fall I'll finally be transferring to big kid school (UCSD) and I want to make a big ol' brew to age until graduation; whenever that may be. I'm thinking a nice big barley wine will do the trick but I'm open a other suggestions, be it a big RIS, a way over the top wee heavy, or what ever..

anyway, I'm looking for some suggestions for something that will age gracefully for minimum of two+ years.

I've never made a 'big' beer before and haven't done anything other than single infusion mashes. but I'm totally willing to try new things but am limited to mashing about 25lbs of grain. whatever a 10 gallon Gatorade cooler can mash is what I'm limited to. I can boil a large volume with my keggle and burner but am somewhat limited with temp control. just an ice chest with a hole cut out for the airlock. I can consistently keep it in the low 60's but that's about it.

so anyway, let the over the top suggestions flow!

If you want to get REALLY big, I'm willing to bring my mash tun over. We could do two batches of grain into one kettle, and I can fit about 28 pounds in mine. You could parti gyle the second runnings and make a decent beer.

As for aging, I really like the way stouts age more than anything. Old ales can be nice, wee heavies don't oxidize as well as I'd like them to.

A Belgian Quad is also a possibility.

If you want to get REALLY big, I'm willing to bring my mash tun over. We could do two batches of grain into one kettle, and I can fit about 28 pounds in mine. You could parti gyle the second runnings and make a decent beer.

As for aging, I really like the way stouts age more than anything. Old ales can be nice, wee heavies don't oxidize as well as I'd like them to.

A Belgian Quad is also a possibility.

oh I'm liking this. we might have to get an epic brew day going. with both of our mash tons we could probably do a 10 gallon batch of something really big instead of something REALLY big and split the batch and both have a nice parti gyle as well.

i was going to say either belgian quad or barleywine. if you want to go super awesome i would brew it big, at say 13+ percent alcohol by volume.,

oh I'm liking this. we might have to get an epic brew day going. with both of our mash tons we could probably do a 10 gallon batch of something really big instead of something REALLY big and split the batch and both have a nice parti gyle as well.

Or we do an insane 5 gallon batch for you, I take the parti gyle, and we're both happy. :)

But something big and not huge would be ok, too.

Or we do an insane 5 gallon batch for you, I take the parti gyle, and we're both happy. :)

But something big and not huge would be ok, too.

I'm not entirely sure if I want to go totally insane compared to say say something 10-12%. I'm totally open to suggestions at this point though. like I said, I've never done anything really big before and I don't know if I can do something insane and have it turn out drinkable. especially something where I'd have to aerate the wort a few times and do sugar additions and what not like PtN's Utopias clone. I don't have an aerator and ferm temps are anything but consistent. also I'm looking for something big and special but also something me and my fellow beer snob friends could have a few of instead of a "one glass is all I can drink" sort of over the top brew.

but lets seriously try to work something out that would be big and special. especially with your beer camp knowledge... ;)

I'm not entirely sure if I want to go totally insane compared to say say something 10-12%. I'm totally open to suggestions at this point though. like I said, I've never done anything really big before and I don't know if I can do something insane and have it turn out drinkable. especially something where I'd have to aerate the wort a few times and do sugar additions and what not like PtN's Utopias clone. I don't have an aerator and ferm temps are anything but consistent. also I'm looking for something big and special but also something me and my fellow beer snob friends could have a few of instead of a "one glass is all I can drink" sort of over the top brew.

but lets seriously try to work something out that would be big and special. especially with your beer camp knowledge... ;)

My Beer Camp knowledge is nothing compared to the Siebel classes I had last year! Get some ideas and we can put a recipe together and I'll be glad to help. Getting 10-12% out of either of our mash tuns is possible.

I don't want to be a dick about this - but there's alot more that could go wrong w/ a big ale, and if I were in your shoes, I'd be bummed if I put all my eggs in one basket and it turned out to be a flop on grad night.

Maybe you might consider something mentioned above (5 gallons), along w/ another batch of a smaller ale that would still be a good candidate for sitting around a while (Imperial IPA?). If they both come out great you have variety. If not... you have a backup plan.

Just my .02.

Back