Sorghum or Molasses????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevRon

Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking into making mead and i started thinking. What if one were to substitute the honey for sorghum or molasses? Has any one here ever tried this?

I just read that sorghum is used as a gluten free alternative in beer to replace malt so i could use it in its place. I think ill try it. It's sort of like LME. There's a sorghum farm near by and i can get the stuff for 6 bucks a gallon. Should make a good experiment :D

1. If it isn't honey, it isn't mead.
2. Red sorghum syrup doesn't taste very good fermented. White sorghum syrup is what is used in gluten free brewing.

I don't know what'd be like fermented, but 6 bucks a gallon is dirt cheap for sorghum molasses.

Dang, now I want cornbread and sorghum.

Where in Ohio can you get sorghum for $6/gallon? Granted, I'm about as far from southern Ohio as you can get and not go for a swim in Lake Erie, but I just paid about that much for a quart of the stuff on the internet.

Where in Ohio can you get sorghum for $6/gallon? Granted, I'm about as far from southern Ohio as you can get and not go for a swim in Lake Erie, but I just paid about that much for a quart of the stuff on the internet.

At Simon's Sorghum Festival in West Portsmouth. I'm not sure about now but that's the price during the festival. I'm not sure why it would be a whole lot higher seeing as its main use is as an animal feed sweetener.

Back