Smoked Porter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a recipe handy, nor do I have brewing software.

I would suggest something like:
7-8 # light LME
1# chocolate malt
1# rauchmalt (this may be not enough, depending on how smoky you want it)
1/2# crystal 40
1/4# black malt

Any hop you want to give you 25-30IBU for 60 minutes (again, no software on me)

WLP028 Edinburh Ale yeast (or any american ale dry yeat if you want to save money, this is just what I would use)

I do believe rauchmalt needs to be mashed so the best I can suggest for extract would be to smoke some specialty malt to steep, though I don't know how well this would work.

You would need to mash it if you wanted to convert the startches into sugar. But I believe that if you just wanted flavor and color from it, steeping should do it.

You would need to mash it if you wanted to convert the startches into sugar. But I believe that if you just wanted flavor and color from it, steeping should do it.

Yeah, I generally don't count on much gravity contribution from steeping any grains. I dont' really know which ones require mashing and which don't, I confess.

He could also try 1-2 DROPS of liquid smoke in secondary. I once knew a guy that won competitions with a smoked porter he made in this way, go figure!

Cool... Thanks for the ideas!

Not sure about that liquid smoke stuff... But I will be steeping for sure!

I have heard about using liquid smoke from a few places, such as Papazian's book. What I don't know is how much to add to a 5 gallon extract batch.

I can tell you that 1-2 drops will be indiscernable. When I make Jerky I use around 10.

I planned to use it in a Bock as well. The brewery I bottle at just won a Silver in competition with a smoked Hellerbock called Smoke Out at the Great American Beer Festival. Don't know where they got smoke from.

Please don't use Liquid smoke in a beer.

Just take the step up to mini mash and mash some rauch malt along with a pound or so of two row and the specialty grains.

I just did some research after reading a similar post as this one. Here is my response to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw
Many years ago, I made a five gallon batch of stout where I steeped a pound or so of rauchmalt, and it came out pretty good. You can certainly get by steeping some rauchmalt, but I would never recommend trying a steep for 50% of your grain bill, no matter what the heck you were doing.

And, yeah, holy cow, keep Liquid Smoke very far away from beer!

TL

Papazian Complete Joy of HB
Miscellaneous Ingred.
Liquid Smoke - Use it!
Do not use kind with vinegar or preservatives, salt, spices.
1 teaspoon/5 gal = well perceived smoke flavor

Here is my Haddon House brand Liquid Smoke Ingredients list -
Water
Hickory Smoke Concentrate
Polysorbate 80

Polysorbate 80 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is classified as an emulsifier. I don't have any idea what the rest means, but I don't see it described as a preservative.

I'm making a Bock and then a Porter with the stuff. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

I intend to mini-mash, but since I am in the middle of a job hunt, remodeling my entire house, and providing primary care to a super awesome baby, not anytime soon. Ahm onna drip the cheater juice all up in it!

Here is my Haddon House brand Liquid Smoke Ingredients list -
Water
Hickory Smoke Concentrate
Polysorbate 80

Polysorbate 80 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is classified as an emulsifier. I don't have any idea what the rest means, but I don't see it described as a preservative.

An emulsifier is something that creates / keeps chemicals in an emulsion - in other words it keeps the concentrate from separating from the water.

I did a smoked porter with rauch malt and it turned out fantastic. The smoke flavor was great! I did my recipe as a mini mash - in fact that recipe is what finally pushed me to step up to mini mashes and I'm glad I did.

I did an AHS Stone Smoked Porter clone -- extract with steeping grains (peatedmalt for the smoke flavor) and it was the bomb!

Latest posts

Back