First keg set up. A few questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmg

Reaction score
A few questions that I couldn't find specific answers to;

• Do I need to clean/rinse brand new beer lines with more than just an oxiclean and hot water flush?
  • Is oxiclean ok to clean beer lines with?
  • I assume beer line cleaner has the added benefit of removing mineral deposits. I don't have to deal with hard water where I live so I assume BLC is not absolutely necessary and oxiclean would be a reasonable substitute?

I just have a small set up at home, 2 kegs. I'm currently using PBW to do my cleaning and to flush lines, then I usually run some Star San through all the kegs/fittings/lines/faucets just to ensure all is good and sanitary. I like the peace of mind of knowing I've taken steps to get them good and clean; you never know where the tubing has been before it got to you.

In regards to Oxiclean - I'd make sure it's the version minus the added scents and whatnot. In the US they make an Oxiclean Free that I have used to clean bottles in the past.

YMMV, and I know there are some advantages to running through BLC or a stronger solution from time to time.

Oxiclean works fine if you have soft water, just rinse very thoroughly with warm water. And it's always a good idea to sanitize as well. I agree that running a "proper" (caustic) beer line cleaner through the lines every once in a while to remove beerstone or other deposits is probably a good idea, but I haven't done it yet. I've found that oxiclean is great for cleaning Sankey couplers as well, I just fill up a big bowl full of it and toss them in to soak.

for first time use i recommend a good cleaning followed by sanitizing. after that you don't need to clean between beer batches. i always rinse my keg out and then fill 1/4 way full of star san and swish it around. shake the crap out of it. then i run the star san out my faucet. fill the keg with beer and run beer out the faucet to flush out the star san. after 4-5 kegs of beer i clean and sanitize. if i'm going to have a completely different beer (blonde to stout) i will clean the lines.

Back