Puree and/or juicer (fresh fruit vs canned)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brakeman_Brewing

Reaction score
I have been tooling with the idea of using canned or even fresh fruit to make juice/puree to add to a base of 100% apple juice for my next batch of apple wine.

Basically Ive got a nice blender with a glass pitcher, and Ive also got a fruit juicer.

One main concern is the use of fresh fruit in the juicer: the possible introduction of wild yeast and or unwanted bacteria. Maybe this shouldnt be a concern...

Ive read up and found alot of people use canned fruit and make a puree in the blender.

Either way I have the ability to try both, anyone have any input, suggestions or pro's and con's on the matter?

I hope someone with experience in this chimes in.

I was looking at a can of puree at the LBHS today where they carry a limited variety and there is no indication for mixing or use. The kid at the store didn't know either.

JW

Well, I can help a little, but I'm not sure what the question is?

Canned fruit/juice is fine. Fresh is fine, too, but I'd recommend Campden tablets to kill any wild yeasts/bacteria.

I would use a juicer, and then add a campden tablet (one per gallon) to the juice. I would NOT use a blender. Apples particularly have tons of pectin, and poisonous seeds. I don't think that would ever clear for you, if you mashed the fruit in the blender.

When I make wine out of apples or crabapples (I don't have a press, which is actually best!), I freeze them first so they get super mushy when they thaw. I then put them in a big mesh bag in the primary, and let them thaw. I mash them up and stir and add one campden tablet per gallon, mixed up in some warm water. I add pectic enzyme 12 hours later, and then pitch the yeast 12 hours after that. Then after about 5 days, I remove that bag of pulp, and rack the wine to secondary.

Awesome thanks Yooper. We do have a really nice juicer so that will come in handy. Since the original post, I actually just bought a 3lb can of blackberry puree and topped it up to 5 gallons of apple juice to try that out first.

Next time Ill just juice the fruit and use campden

YooperBrew said:
Well, I can help a little, but I'm not sure what the question is?

Canned fruit/juice is fine. Fresh is fine, too, but I'd recommend Campden tablets to kill any wild yeasts/bacteria.

I would use a juicer, and then add a campden tablet (one per gallon) to the juice. I would NOT use a blender. Apples particularly have tons of pectin, and poisonous seeds. I don't think that would ever clear for you, if you mashed the fruit in the blender.

When I make wine out of apples or crabapples (I don't have a press, which is actually best!), I freeze them first so they get super mushy when they thaw. I then put them in a big mesh bag in the primary, and let them thaw. I mash them up and stir and add one campden tablet per gallon, mixed up in some warm water. I add pectic enzyme 12 hours later, and then pitch the yeast 12 hours after that. Then after about 5 days, I remove that bag of pulp, and rack the wine to secondary.

I guess for my part, I am curious as to the use of canned fruit puree. Is it something you add an amount of water to and strain? Do you use the campden tabs with this as well? I'm guessing you could add water to get a desired gravity.

JW

No need for campden if it's canned fruit or pasteurized, unless you want to add it as a precaution. The canned fruit puree stuff is great- you it's just fresh canned fruit. I added water and sugar to bring my sg to where I wanted it, and then fermented. It works great. I think the cans (at least the Vintner's Harvest or whatever it's called) make up to a 5 gallon batch. Well, the can says that. But it's better to follow the 3 gallon recipe if you want a fruit wine with any body at all to it.

Back