pensacola area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjonacron

Reaction score
Hello there! I just recently moved back to the area after my time in the military. Ive gotten a couple of my buddies interested in home brewing, but id really like to meet some new people. Ive found the escambia bay brewers, but i dont think that structured of a club is what im really looking for. Id really like to just meet some folks that like making beer, or are interested in getting started. Looking for a group to hang out on brew days, bottle swap, and of course hang out and enjoy some home brew. If anyone is interested, respond and we can kick it off from there!
RonJon

Hello.

In the same boat you're in. Recently started brewing again after about a 3 year lay off. Have been brewing extract for a number of years, but decided to try my hand at all grain recently. Finally took the plunge last week. Looking good so far.

I'm interested in meeting brewers in the area. Folks to work with on brew day, share recipes, technique, and to share the cost in bulk ordering.

did you do all grain with the traditional mash tun? or BIAB? I have friends that do traditional and i am the odd ball that does BIAB. I attempted to do it because it was cheaper, but now that i have found it also saves time i am a huge fan. I am interested in sharing cost with bulk orders and sharing recipes as well. Plus if i can find other brewers that are married it would be nice so the women can talk about whatever and we can brew...

Yes, i do regular AG with mashtun. I pmed both of you my phone number, i probably wont be brewing for another 2 weekends. Brewed this weekend and last weekend. Im married with kids, come hang out sometime!

I'm a Pensacola home brewer. Both myself and my father brew and we love it. We are always looking new people to hang out with and brew!

Awesome!! Since theres a few of us on here now, post up when you plan to have a brew day, or would just enjoy to share some homebrews, bottle swap, or talk about beer!

i agree...i am busy the next few weekends but i would like to def if nothing else swap some beers. does anyone know when top of the hops festival is this year? also there is normally a beer festival of some sort in d-town pcola as well.

Jealous, love Pensacola, come down to fly fish at least once a year with Captain Baz (gulf breeze guide service). And love McGuires, their Porter and Irish Red are great.

I don't know if Caroline still does wine and beer gatherings at the shop, but she did when I lived in Navarre. Check out the Shady Lady shop up by UWF and ask her. That would be a great way to meet a few people with the same mindset without the full structure of the club. When we were down to visit my in-laws in January we stopped in and that was how I found out about Pensacola Bay Brewery on Seville Square.

Steve

She is the owner of the shop and there most of the time, though I spelled the name wrong, it is Carolyn. I've never seen her have dogs with her, but she may. When I was in there in January it was the first time since I moved to TN in late '06, though she remembered me and asked where I'd been. When I first started wine making I remember she had a monthly get together at the shop and there were wine, beer, and cheese makers there each month.

Steve

im not a huge fan of Shady lady as the don't seem to want to help you and their prices are outrageous! they want 485 for a 2 keg setup! that's with used kegs too! almost double the price I have seem them on the net. I understand that stores are typically higher priced and they you don't pay for shipping, but almost double!

Jealous, love Pensacola, come down to fly fish at least once a year with Captain Baz (gulf breeze guide service). And love McGuires, their Porter and Irish Red are great.

if you like McQuires next time you are down here you should go to Pensacola Bay Brewery. Their beer is WAY better. all made in the back. on Fridays they have brewery tours you can do as well. don't remember what time on Fridays though.

I think the brewery tours were 3:30 on Fridays. The nice thing is they were free, the bad thing is, that is the only tour they offer the entire week, so if you miss it....

Steve.

im not a huge fan of Shady lady as the don't seem to want to help you and their prices are outrageous! they want 485 for a 2 keg setup! that's with used kegs too! almost double the price I have seem them on the net. I understand that stores are typically higher priced and they you don't pay for shipping, but almost double!

They've always helped me. I don't believe I'd be brewing beer if it weren't for their response to all of my questions.

I agree that some of their prices are a bit high, but... at least with a local homebrew shop, there is no shipping. And they're really nice people to boot. I do shop for some items on the Internet, but it's great to have a local store that we can go into when we want to brew. I've priced grain at the 1 and 10lb sizes, and with shipping, their prices aren't much different. 30-35 with shipping vs 35-40 from Shady Lady - total price. With the Internet I save 5 bucks or so, but have to wait a week. With Shady Lady I spend 5 more dollars, but can have it that day. I suppose it's a trade off.

Bottom line... support your local, small business. If you don't, they go out of business.

One more point. Like I said, I purchase from the internet as well. My dollars only go so far, and if I can find a better deal I usually take advantage of it. If the 2 keg system on the net is half the price, I say go ahead and buy it. But don't write the local brew shop off over one purchase.

I'm all for getting together on brew days. I probably won't be brewing here for several more weeks. I've got 200+ beers in the bottle, 3 in secondary, and a half batch in primary.

But... If we were to get organized and possibly have a quick meet and greet somewhere, we might be able to put something together.

Technique is what I'm interested in. I'm no brewmaster and I'm positive I could pick up quite a bit from other brewers... I've also been brewing for 10 years or so, so I might have a few things to offer.

Besides that, I've got a ton of beer and noone to share it with.

They've always helped me. I don't believe I'd be brewing beer if it weren't for their response to all of my questions.

I agree that some of their prices are a bit high, but... at least with a local homebrew shop, there is no shipping. And they're really nice people to boot. I do shop for some items on the Internet, but it's great to have a local store that we can go into when we want to brew. I've priced grain at the 1 and 10lb sizes, and with shipping, their prices aren't much different. 30-35 with shipping vs 35-40 from Shady Lady - total price. With the Internet I save 5 bucks or so, but have to wait a week. With Shady Lady I spend 5 more dollars, but can have it that day. I suppose it's a trade off.

Bottom line... support your local, small business. If you don't, they go out of business.

One more point. Like I said, I purchase from the internet as well. My dollars only go so far, and if I can find a better deal I usually take advantage of it. If the 2 keg system on the net is half the price, I say go ahead and buy it. But don't write the local brew shop off over one purchase.

I am not writing them off. I always buy my bottle caps from them. And any lines I need. The main reason I don't go there is the hours. I can only make it there on Sat. as they close at 5 and I am at work. I could try to hurry to the store, but then I am there as they are closing. So the wait a week thing for me doesn't apply. I can order something on line and have it before I can even make it to the store. Also every time I have asked a question I was given vague answers. I have learned more from this forum than anywhere else. I understand the whole local business thing as my father in law owns his own business and my parents owned a business when I was growing up.

I'm all for getting together on brew days. I probably won't be brewing here for several more weeks. I've got 200+ beers in the bottle, 3 in secondary, and a half batch in primary.

But... If we were to get organized and possibly have a quick meet and greet somewhere, we might be able to put something together.

Technique is what I'm interested in. I'm no brewmaster and I'm positive I could pick up quite a bit from other brewers... I've also been brewing for 10 years or so, so I might have a few things to offer.

Besides that, I've got a ton of beer and noone to share it with.

I am with you in that I have a ton of beer. I have about 8 cases of beer that is ready and 10 gallons in the fermenter at different stages. At this point I probably wont brew again until the fall. Besides who wants to stand out in the FL summer heat next to hot wort! lol

Hopjacks does half price drafts on sunday iirc, maybe we could meet up there. Enjoy some brews and talking brewing.

Hello there! I just recently moved back to the area after my time in the military. Ive gotten a couple of my buddies interested in home brewing, but id really like to meet some new people. Ive found the escambia bay brewers, but i dont think that structured of a club is what im really looking for. Id really like to just meet some folks that like making beer, or are interested in getting started. Looking for a group to hang out on brew days, bottle swap, and of course hang out and enjoy some home brew. If anyone is interested, respond and we can kick it off from there!
RonJon

I just moved back to Pensacola after getting out of the military back in August. I'm in the Escambia Bay Homebrew Club, but am still a new member so I don't really know anybody. I'd be interested in some sort of a smaller meet and brew or whatever you guys have in mine. Sounds good.

keithcfh11 said:
I just moved back to Pensacola after getting out of the military back in August. I'm in the Escambia Bay Homebrew Club, but am still a new member so I don't really know anybody. I'd be interested in some sort of a smaller meet and brew or whatever you guys have in mine. Sounds good.

How do you like Escambia Bay Homebrew Club? I have thought about me and my father joining. Is it a good group and do y'all meet often?

I like it, it's just that I don't really know anybody. They're a great group of people. They have a general meeting and a brewers guild once a month usually at Hopjacks.

I'd be interested in meet as well. Also a new escambia bay homebrewers member and went to their mmeeting on big brew day, awesome folks, but would like a smaller group as well.

I'm trying to have a brew day the first or second week in June. Currently my days off are Tuesday and Wednesday. I will have just moved to Chantilly in Milton. Would any one be interested in coming over for an all-grain brew day?
RonJon

I have a night class on wednesdays, so if its a later crowd that wants to hang out, its gonna need to be tuesday. If everyones early bird like me wednesday is fine.

Also, does anyone have or have connections to a good deal on a cooler i can convert to mash tun? Im still using a 5 gallon and im pretty much limited to 13-14 ish pound grainbills. Would like to eventually make a couple bigger beers.

i went to biab and that has worked out great for me! i haven't run out of room since the kettle i have has a metal basket that i put my bag in to support the weight. It was much cheaper than a big cooler. Might want to look into it.

My boil setup is only a 30 or 32 quart turkey fryer. You think i could get away with it? I know only the basics of biab. Do you no-sparge, or ghetto sparge it by running water thru it hanging it over? I still have the basket that came with the fryer so thats definately an option, with just needing a bag / paint strainer. How hard is it to maintain mash temps?

Tuesday nights sound good to me as well, I also have class on Wednesdays. If you guys would like to do a big brew and split it, my setup is for 10 or 5 gallon brews. I have a 15 Gallon brewpot and 10 gallon cooler. I can contribute hops, I have a pound of Super Galena and a pound of Fuggles. Funds are limited for me right now, I'm a full time student living off my VA benefits. Let me know what you guys think. I also culture yeast too, so I have a few different strains available.

Cool, I already submitted my application to transfer to UWF, so I may be there in the fall. Depends on how many credits they count from the Air Force.

Oh, for you Pensacola guys I sent a water sample off to Ward Labs and had it tested. If you would like a copy of the report, just let me know. I'm sure the surrounding areas are similar as well.

Yes please!! Im on garcon point and will be moving to a house with pace water, hopefully ecua has come a long way over the past 10 years or so.

All the credits psc gsve me were fitness and military history.. which i was was strange considering i had a 6 month AIT (tech school) in an electronics intensive field

Pensacola brewer here. Escambia bay homebrew member, also. I recommend coming to more meetings. You will fit in after a few and feel like you've been a member for years. One of our members, Gary Yetter sells grain, hops, yeast, etc... For similar or lower prices than internet searches will find. Pensacola water is the worst drinking water, but it has a great ph for brewing. Beerfest is hosted by us in September. Always a great time.

-Dusty

Back