What is the purpose of a false bottom on kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOrphan

Reaction score
I just started brewing and definitely love it and im now looking into upgrading my equipment. i was looking at a few brew kettles and a few i looked into had the option of a false bottom. can someone educate me on what its used for.

The false bottoms are usually in the MLT, I think (and I'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong) that brew kettles don't typically have false bottoms.

The false bottom in the MLT is to act as a filter for your grain bed. The grain is sitting on top of the false bottom, with (hopefully) clear wort underneath it - which is where the spigot will be. It prevents large grain particles from getting into the brew kettle. Alternately you may also see a stainless steel braid which will also act as a filter.

edit: spelling

Just to add to that, the grain bed acts as a filter. That's why you vorlauf. But you get to draw from under the level of the grain. And from my experience is easier to deal with and I get better results than using a manifold.

If you see a false bottom in a brew kettle and not a mash tun, it is for whole hops.

Back