Dry yeast for a porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My LHBS has limited supply of dry yeasts.
These are what he has in stock:
MUNTON'S ALE YEAST - 5 gm
SAFALE US04 - 10 gm
SAFALE US05 - 10 gm
SAFBREW S33 - 10 gm

Should I go w/one of these or order something better on line? This will be an experimental 1 gal brew.

I did a search and looked at a bunch or recipes but most seem to use liquids. I did see one using US04.

safale and safbrew should be 11.5 grams but thats ok... i would go with the safale-04 of the safbrew s33 if it were me outta the bunch... just split it into 3 grams and you can easly save the rest for a few weeks.. i did :)

us04 definitely. it's the whitbread strain, and is good for that. i have a robust porter i just cooked up yesterday that has us04

Thanks Edmaster and Lumpher. I'll go w/the us04. I have a digital scale coming in this week from Amazon and I should be able to measure all these "micro" amounts for the 1 gallon batch. If all goes well I may not do 5's anymore to have a greater variety to drink. Of course that means I'll be brewing one a week. But heck I'm retired w/nutting to do anyway cept bowl, hike, clean yard and sleep :)

Back