Ultra Violet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard about or thought about the possibilty of Ultra Violet sanitation? I'm thinkin' of buying a couple of small UV sanitizers and mounting them into a cooler not sure if it will work so I thought I'd check and see if anyone looked into it? Think of the time it will save forget about sanitizing agents just rinse out your bottles put the bottles or equiptment in the cooler plug in turn on forget it.

Dark glass blocks UV, that's why Corona is skunky & you use a lime to hid the smell. Don't think this would work.

I have to do some research on this because you can sterelize water and they have uv lights for outdoor ponds and fish tank so if one can put on inline on their faucet instant sanitzed water for rinsing. From what i've read so far the UV will sanitize the water on contact. The dark bottles only block out some UV eventually the dark bottles will skunk too from my research. I'm wondering how long it would take with a fairly strong light in an eclosed area. I will ask my lab reasearch friend about this. Wouldn't it be great though. I'll have to do math I hate math.

the strong smell of the citrus fruits hides other smells by simply overpowering them.

in beer, it can hide the skunky smell.
in seafood, it can hide the fishy smell.
in household cleaners, it can hide pet/smoke/etc smells.

-walker

The uv water sterilzers work in small diameter enclosures i.e. a pipe. the uv energy is absorbed pretty quickly, it does not move far away from the light source. the uv light would also age the plastic in your cooler very quickly.
Aren't the uv bulbs pretty expensive any way?

voodoochild7 said:
Leave me to my mad scientist dream you'll see you'll all see muhahahahahahahahahaha

Let's leave him to his schemes. Probably the cleanest fish tank in New Jersey......

Bottled spring water is processed by "carbon filtration, uv treatment, microfiltration, and ozonation". Could it be that uv treatment alone isn't sufficient for sterilization?

That is because bottled spring water is, in addition to trying to kill any nasties, is trying to ensure that any dirt and the like doesn't get in there.

"Skunky or cat-musk aromas

in beer are caused by photochemical reactions of the isomerized hop compounds. The wavelengths of light that cause the skunky smell are the blue wavelengths and the ultraviolet. Brown glass bottles effectively screen out these wavelengths, but green bottles do not. Skunkiness will result in beers if the beer is left in direct sunlight or stored under fluorescent lights as in supermarkets. In beers which use pre-isomerized hop extract and very little flavoring hop additions, the beer will be fairly immune to damage from ultraviolet light."

Windaria said:
Yeah yeah, I get that... what I mean is skunky smells? Beer smells bad?

Would you want to drink something that reminds you of skunk juice? Yes, beer CAN smell bad, hence the term "skunky" beer. It occurs when beer is exposed to UV sources, such as the sun and, believe it or not, flourescent lights. Regular incandescent lights don't cause this reaction.

There's a reason why so many breweries bottle in the dark brown, UV filtering bottles, after all.

No but if I had somewhere to store one it would be a good idea! I cram washed out bottles wherever i can get space.

I have a bottle tree, but not the sanitizer gizmo attached to the top. I just use my tree to hold empty bottles while I am filling them.

(you realize the tree part is just a rack for bottles, right? You have to wash each bottle one-at-a-time with the sanitizer thing on top.)

-walker

And the sanitizer thing looks a little puny. Looks like it would break easily. Not a patch on a kitchen sink!!!

I have that same bottle tree and the sanitizer gizmo on top and have probably sanitized 2000 bottles. So far so good. It beats filling the sink to sanitize.

Back