Thinking of Skiping PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver02ws6

Reaction score
I have done 3 extract brews to date, and have done alot of review on the PM process as well as AG brewing. I thought at first i wanted to do PM. Yet the more i think about it the more i want to just go ahead and do all grain.

A friend of mine is wanting to get into brewing so i told him if he would provide at least an 8 gallon pot i would try to round up what few extra pieces we would need to just go ahead with some all grain batches.

I want to only do single infusion mash process to begin with, from what i understand from reading step mashing wouldnt be that much harder just little more attention to detail.

Anyone think im crazy for wanting to do this or should i just jump right in. It just doesnt seem that the process is all that hard just time consuming.

Let me know what you all grain guys/gals out there think.

austin

In a way I dont blame you at all. I just got a mini mash tun and did a PM. Now I am sort of wishing I just got the AG equipment and went AG. Only thing is I dont have a basement or garage and cant use a propane burner in the house. So I will have to stay with PM in the winter and then switch to AG in the summer. It looked real intimedating at first but the more and more I read about it, I dont think it has to be that complicated.

My first brew was an all grain, I say go all grain. It may seem daunting, but all you do is steep grains in hot water, drain the water, then boil. Temp control is a key, but there are so many formulas and calculators out there, shouldnt be an issue. You will love it, and I am proof that you can start with AG and be successful, ask SWMBO.

Brewpilot

My 12th batch was AG and only 4 months after my first brewing experience. I just jumped in with just a cooler and a SS braid. I had to hold down the rubbermaid factory spigot the whole time. But I learned more in my first attempt, than I could have sitting around reading these forums over and over. And now Im drinking my delicious first all grain bitter! Go for it!:mug:

You will undoubtably have some growing pains, but it is fun and it is HARD to screw up beer. Have fun with it!

Brewpilot

If you feel comfortable go for it. AG is a lot easier than some people think. I only did one or two PM's before switching to AG.

I only did one PM before going AG and that was because I did not have a pot big enough for a full boil. If you have everything to go AG, go for it, it is so worth it.

boldone said:
I only did on PM before going AG and that was because I did not have a pot big enough for a full boil. If you have everything to go AG, go for it, it is so worth it.

Me, too. I could only boil five gallons (barely that), so I did about eight pounds of grain and a couple pounds of DME.

extract to all grain in 4 batches myself with no PM step inbetween

If you can make tea and wait 6 weeks to drink it you can do all grain

I did maybe 6 extracts then went to ag.just make sure you have everything you need,then take your time and have fun. good luck

If you like brewing, then AG is for you I'd say. Just research a lot of the equipment and figure out how you want your process to work. Once you have that dialed down, brewing the beer is easy.

What these guys said.

I went AG after about 6 extract batches. I've never done a PM.

PM is really no simpler than AG, except that it can be done in a smaller brewpot.

Maybe the best transition is to do a full-boil extract batch, if you haven't already. That can get you used to the process of a full boil, cooling, aeration, etc.

Or just jump in. I like to do test runs of new gear with water instead of wort--just to make sure things don't leak, etc.

That's what I did, progressed to full extract boils and then jumped to AG. PM isn't a step up to AG its more of a process for people with limited space, I know if I didn't have the room to do AG I'd be doing PM. As for the added cost, I think by the time most decide to go AG they have already gathered most of the stuff they'll need, the only added expense for me was a 48qt cooler some valves and stainless hose braid.

Brewpilot said:
My first brew was an all grain, I say go all grain. It may seem daunting, but all you do is steep grains in hot water, drain the water, then boil. Temp control is a key, but there are so many formulas and calculators out there, shouldnt be an issue. You will love it, and I am proof that you can start with AG and be successful, ask SWMBO.

Brewpilot

I'm with brewpilot on this one.
It's the process that's counts but the results are nice too.
I did my first AG and brew this past weekend, things didn't exactly go smoothly I always learn more from my mistakes than my successes. Plus I enjoyed building the equipment (with the exception of the counter flow wort chiller) as much or more than brewing. And dispite all the problems I encountered the fermentor is bubbling away.
I say go for it!

Back