Double IPA Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_Pete

Reaction score
Ok I've put together this Double IPA recipe hoping to get some feedback:mug:

(Extract)

6lb. Amber Malt Extract LME
2lb. Extra Light DME
7oz. Crystal Light Grain Malt 20 L
2oz. Target Pellet Hops (Bittering)
2oz. Bramling Pellet Hops (Dry Hopping)
2oz. Challenger Pellet Hops (Flavor/Aroma)
2oz. Centennial Pellet Hops (Flavor/Aroma)
1 packet Fermentis Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

Be kind, this is my first recipe.

looks like you have mostly european style hops, most people dont mix an american hop like centennial with them, but to each his own.

Is the 6 lb amber DME or LME? Not sure why you would use amber, I've used extra light dme in my IPAs with great results, especially when steeping crystal malt to get the color you want.

actually, one of the best IPA's I've made personally was a mix of english or english-like hops (EKG, willamette) and the american "c" hops.....bittered with Cascade, aroma'd with EKG and willamette, and dryhopped with amarillo and a touch of centennial. Contrary to the belief that those flavors will clash, I feel this created a complex hop profile which was quite tasty and far superior to the one-trick pony of going all english or all american.....I plan to experiment more with this in the future.

looks like you have mostly european style hops, most people dont mix an american hop like centennial with them, but to each his own.

Is the 6 lb amber DME or LME? Not sure why you would use amber, I've used extra light dme in my IPAs with great results, especially when steeping crystal malt to get the color you want.

Well, like I said this is my first recipe and I'm kinda jumping the gun into the diverse world of hops I suppose. As for the 6lb. malt, I'd be using LME and using it because I have it already.

I was also thinking of maybe using a Pilsen Unhopped LME instead of the Amber LME...

Not sure about the hops profile, but I'm getting 1.05ish for an OG. A couple extra pounds of DME/LME would put you more into the *double* range of the ipa....something in the 1.07_ area.

Pilsner is not the usual for an IPA....It has too much fresh bread character to it. I'm sure somebody has come up with an excellent IPA recipe that features pilsner though, to contradict this.

If all you have is amber, then I would maybe cut it 60/40 with Pilsen extract, just to lighten up a bit, otherwise my suggestion would be to use pale malt extract + your steeping grains...good luck!

Ok after doing some more researching, I've come up with another possible recipe for a 5 gal Double IPA. I wanted to keep the ingredients short in this one. All ingredients are for extract brewing and they are all from More Beer.

8lbs. Light LME
8oz. Crystal Grain 15L
2oz. Kent Goldings
2oz. Columbus
Safale US-05

Feedback would be appreciated ;)

Back