I Think I Screwed Up, Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer on 1/3 sunday night, i am using an american ale kit from homebrewery.com.
i brewed with 3 gallons of water then added 2 gallons of water at the end, mainly cause i dont have a pot big enough for a full brew, the only problem is i didnt compensate for the evaporation during brewing. my question is should i add more water now, it has been bubbleing for 3 days now or should i let it go, and if i do how is my beer going to come out?
thanks for any help.

Next time pay attention to the lines in your fermenter and go by that. If you don't have graduated markings on your bucket or carboy then before you fill it with beer again, do the add a gallon of water trick and mark thing. Then when you pour in your wort, you can just fill to the five gallon mark.

if its only a half gallon or so that you missed your target by, I personally would leave it alone and just have a stronger beer. I don't like messing with it any more than i have to for contamination purposes. I don't think your going to find a right answer to this question since either way you go your beer will come out fine as long as the rest of your brewing technique is good. Others may tell you to top it up with water which would be fine too, its just a matter of what you want to do with it

You can always top your beer off with either cooled boiled water or bottled water. I did it just the other night to a cream ale I made that was about 3/4 of a gallon shy of where it should have been.

I'd just leave it. It'll probably go from average beer to awesome beer that way.

Just know that the lines on the fermenting buckets are always inaacurate, so it would be best to pre-measure out and mark the bucket yourself so you know you're getting the right volume. For this brew... just leave it be and enjoy the slightly stronger than normal beer :)

Back