Trub or no Trub: That is the Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehouse

Reaction score
Quick question: Does everyone just pour all the contents of the cooled wort into the primary or do you "decant" off and leave the solids (grains, spent hops, etc.) from the brew boil behind?

I have done it both ways, but I always tried to leave or strain out the hop residue when I used to use whole, fresh hops. Lately I have just been dumping everything from my brew kettle into the primary where it settles out and gets left behind when I rack to my secondary. It doesn't seem to make a difference, but I'm wondering if I would get a "cleaner" taste by leaving behind some the stuff from the boil. I seem to get clear beer regardless of how I do it.

You shouldn't have any grains in your boil kettle, they should be left in the mash tun. As for hops I just use a hop stopper type set up on the kettle pick up tube.

I do get trub in the primary but it's nothing chunky. Just hot and cold break that's not been strained out and yeast matter.

A small amount isn't a problem, but you want to keep most of the solids out of the fermenter.

david_42 said:
A small amount isn't a problem, but you want to keep most of the solids out of the fermenter.

Yeah, when I refered to "grains" I meant all the little stuff, tiny pieces of husk that make it through to the bioling pot. Negligable probably. However, I now use pelleted hops rather than fresh, whole and this makes up the bulk of the solid matter in the boiling pot. Obviously next to impossible to filter out...So in it all goes. Why worry.

Back