Isolating colonies from streak plates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bought some agar-agar from the local asian market, and isolated 3 colonies from each. Just wanted to share the pics. By the way, if you are forced to buy the "stick" instead of powdered agar, use about a half stick for each 300 mL of wort.

3599518284_4c43516e24_o.jpg

3598708905_f3b08c52c4_o.jpg

3599518384_c7bf30e86e_o.jpg

3598708973_b09245ff0b_o.jpg

Nice! I haven't gotten that advanced with my yeast (yet?), but it looks like you've got it down.

BTW, I first read the topic title as, "Isolating chocolate from steak plates."

Must get more sleep.

-Steve

Have you used the powdered Agar-Agar (such as the Telephone brand)? I used that for my last set of slants and may have went a little stiff on the agar mix. They set up pretty solid. I used 12-13 gr per 500 mL and I think I could have got by with 5-6 gr. They will probably still work, though. Yeast seem to be less picky then I am.... :)

Have you used the powdered Agar-Agar (such as the Telephone brand)? I used that for my last set of slants and may have went a little stiff on the agar mix. They set up pretty solid. I used 12-13 gr per 500 mL and I think I could have got by with 5-6 gr. They will probably still work, though. Yeast seem to be less picky then I am.... :)

That sounds about right to me. I use agar that I get from lab, and I typically go with 2% agar.

I should probably start making some plates myself, they've been subcultured so many times that I should get some individual colonies.

Latest posts

Back