Siphoning Trouble and Bottling Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tink

Reaction score
So I racked my cider tonight, and I had some trouble siphoning. Between the curve in the racking cane and the curved tube, I could not get a steady flow going. I got frustrated and just snapped off the short part of the cane so that it was straight.
Couple of things: 1. I'm worried because I wasn't sure it the tube should go in the full carboy or the other way around, so I putzed around with it trying different things. Risk of oxidation/exposure there?? I also tried just the tube at one point, which was not long enough and did a little splashing before I realized my stupidity and stopped.

2. I topped off my juice with fresh cider, and my SG=1.003. I've got a really dry cider going. Anyways, how long does everyone recommend/advise before I bottle?

3. How to I avoid those siphoning issues in the future because it caused one hell of a mess in my back room.

Thanks!

Get a differnt siphon... sorry but now that you have snapped off a piece you have exposed the inner part of the plastic and that inner part is not sealed like the outer part was... think of it as taking a painted piece of steal and taking the paint off with steel wool, the steel almost imedately starts to rust... its a possible small source of contamination... it takes alot of O2 to casue oxidation in cider... the biggest issue is pouring... so unless you danced the mombo with the thing in you arms then i think your ok... i would sugest a siphon with the demsions you know you need now and perhaps an autos siphon... they can be expensive but also damned convient

You did make sure that fresh cider had no preservatives in it? Im guessing you did but it doesnt hurt to ask, i know what a stupid question it is so dont feel bad if you want to tell me to shut up.

Has your fermentation stopped, or at least slowed to a level which is hard to detect? if so then add some priming sugar and bottle away.... I normally bottle after about 5-7 weeks of fermentation after racking at 3-4weeks to get it off the yeast cake and clear things a bit.... then leave it 2-3 weeks then rack into a cask (Aluminium water keg) with priming sugar then bottle out of the cask after about 3-7daysit bottles well and after about a week to ten days the carbination is about perfect ... and end up drinking at least a couple of glasses right out of the cask in the first couple of days, i normally just cant wait... Other then that... as for the mess, just plan ahead, but down towles, or a junk piece of carpet you can spill on and clean off with a pressure washer or not clean off at all... brewing is messy, and thats partically what makes it fun... were just bigger kids with bigger chemistry sets then when we were younger

Cheers

If you topped off with cider, you absolutely can not add priming sugar and bottle away. You have introduced more fermentables to the brew. If you plan on carbonating, then let it ferment out completely again, as confirmed by a hydrometer having consistent readings over a week at least. After it is completely fermented, then you can prime and bottle.

Thanks for the help, advice. I threw out the broken racking cane and will get more tubing or something straight for next time. I guess the first time is always for learning and having things go wrong!
Tusch, I was thinking I'd wait a little while and just check my SG readings. I'll be gone on vacation for a couple weeks here soon, so that'll help my patience. :) Now, I just hope it ferments, and there isn't something gone awry.

Thanks!

I would suggest waiting longer than just the two weeks, give it time to completely clear. Also, there is no need to get a racking cane that is straight. It takes a bit of practice/experience, but the racking canes are helpful. Sounds like you just weren't producing enough vacuum to maintain a steady flow. What was your method of siphoning? Also, you should make sure the tube you are using fits tightly as in airtightly over the racking cane, if there is any air introduced there it will both hinder your vacuum and siphoning and it will cause oxidation in your brew.

this guy shows how to use an auto-siphon: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtXahDAw1MQ&feature=channel]YouTube - Beer Scientist: Honey Brown Ale Secondary Fermentation[/ame]

Back