Question about my new kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotammo

Reaction score
I'm new to 5 gallon corny's so here's my question.

they are refurbished kegs from keg kits .com They look clean on the inside but when I bleed the pressure off of them the air smells like Diet Pepsi. Will this affect the beer that goes in them. How do I get rid of the smell.

Most likely its the gaskets. They hold the soda stink. If all the gaskets are brand new, then you can soak the keg in oxiclean for a hour or so. That'll kill the smell.

If you can smell it, you can taste it IMHO. I've heard that you can run the gaskets through the dishwasher to kill the smell, but I just bought new ones at my lhbs for about 3 bucks and was done with it.

clean the dip tubes too. they might have cleaned the inside walls of the keg, but might have skipped the insides of the tubes.

if its a re-furb'd keg, ALL the o-rings were supposed to be replaced (2 dip tube, both post QD rings, and the keg lid o-ring)

Back