Kegging Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I searched and could not find anything about it.
How long does kegged soda last, and do I still have to carbonate with chmpagne yeast, and can I force carb that as well, like beer?

Anyone kegging soda? Please feel free to gimme all the pointers you can.
Thanks
Josh

I can't really speak to how long it would last. That would depend on a number of factors.

But yes you can force carbonate just like beer.

i would NOT use any yeast when making soda if you're kegging, just force carb.

keep thing sanitary, and it'll last quite a while...several months. I'd treat it like a light beer that doesn't need aging, and might start losing its peak flavor after 3 months.

that said, soda pop requires more CO2 volumes to taste like normal soda...we're talking 20-30psi here.

if you don't want to waste CO2 by venting back to a serving pressure of 8-12psi, you'll need around 18 feet of beer line to balance the system.
plus, soda is better below 40F in my opinion, which is too cold for good beer.

I have force carbed rootbeer and I have had a keg for about 3 months now....

And its some good stuff then I am on call I drink it.

As in the 17 hour day yesterday when Southern California got hit by that big rainy wind storm.....

Thats the life of a Lineman though....

DRAGGER.....

Thats the life of a Lineman though....
Off topic: I do not envy you guys -- appreciate, yes, but not envy.

On topic: I've wondered the same thing about soda & root beer as to how long it will last. I'd like to have a cream soda and a root beer on tap (as well as, perhaps, a cola).

As to serving temperatures, I'm beginning to assume I'll need two freezers if I go that route: one for soda & root beer (& a near-frozen BMC clone for certain friends/relatives) and another kegerator for my beers. Of course, at this point it's all a ways down the road for me.

Rick

I once tried to carbonate soda with dry ice. That was a mess. I would not recomend it. I forgot to take the picnic tap off the out side for one. Then when I dropped the dry ice in it started to bubble really bad before i got the lid on. I finally got the lid on and all the pressure caused the soda to shoot out the tap. So I had a five foot stream of soda going across my kitchen and den. All the while SWMBO was laughing hysterically at the whole thing.

make sure you use a dedicated line for the root beer. root beer smell will come out of the keg eventually, but not the o-rings, and not the beer line/tap. It will forever be root beer flavored.

rickylr said:
Off topic: I do not envy you guys -- appreciate, yes, but not envy.

On topic: I've wondered the same thing about soda & root beer as to how long it will last. I'd like to have a cream soda and a root beer on tap (as well as, perhaps, a cola).

As to serving temperatures, I'm beginning to assume I'll need two freezers if I go that route: one for soda & root beer (& a near-frozen BMC clone for certain friends/relatives) and another kegerator for my beers. Of course, at this point it's all a ways down the road for me.

Rick

Again off topic, I remember seeing once that someone had built a second "cooler" on the side of their Keezer, and ran two 3-4 inch tubes between the keezer and second cooler, and used a temp controller and a computer fan to pull cold air to regulate the temp in the secondary cooler. I think they used it for fermenting lagers, but I can see it's use in this scenario.

Latest posts

Back