Belgian Golden Yeast for a Dunkelweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have used White Labs Belgian Golden Ale Yeast (WLP570) a handful of times in the past for Belgian Pale Ales. The flavor and aroma profile was amazing. I like Hefeweizens, and Dunkelweizens, but have heard people complain about weak flavor and aroma profiles after the Hefeweizen yeast has run its course.

I am thinking of using the Belgian Golden Ale Yeast for a Dunkel. Wondering if anyone has any experience with using WLP570 in a Dunkel? I figured it's a guarantee for big clove notes.

Any opinions?

I just bottled a dunkel that i used wlp300 with. I made an oopsie and pitched the yeast at 80*F and expected it to be heavy in banana/clove flavors, but was surprised at how balanced it was. I would think that the 300 or 3068 would be good for your dunkel

By not the same balance, are you saying more flavor? That's the one thing that I've always been impressed with this Belgian Golden Ale yeast - it strikes me like a weizen on steroids, and I sort of like that.

I figure Dunkels are slightly bigger anyway - looks like the typical ABV is 5.3. Maybe I'll edge on the higher scale of the of the IBUs to go along with the ramped up flavor and aroma. I want this thing to be all Dunkel and then some. What do you think?

Back