HOPS-BOPS 2012 Results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought the BJCP scoring system was there to eliminate preference of the judges (which is subjective). Oh well, I'll take it...horray for me and I'm sorry if you managed to score higher than me and finished lower. Quite honestly, I'd rather have the higher score because, to me, that means I'm making better beer....beer that's close to style and has fewer technical flaws. This is my second first place and my third placement overall in three different comps. It's also the third lowest score I've ever had. Go figure.

I really doesn't have anything to do with preference of judges. They do it that way to eliminate different judges scoring curves. If there are 20 beers in a category they may have 4 sets of judges judging 5 beers each. Each set of judges may pass on a couple of the beers from their group that they think are the best to a mini best of show for the whole category. One judge might score an excellent beer at a 44, while another judge may score what they think is an excellent beer at 40. Now suppose that the 40 point beer is actually a better and more to-style beer than the 44 that the other judges gave. By doing the mini best of show format they effectively eliminate variations on judges scoring curves and the winner is purely the best beer and most to-style on the table regardless of score.

...interesting. I'm thinking maybe I should sign up to be a steward so I can get a better understanding of his these competitions work.

...interesting. I'm thinking maybe I should sign up to be a steward so I can get a better understanding of his these competitions work.

A totally worthwhile experience, IMO. I learned so much about competition tasting, judging, organization, etc from my first experience here with HOPS-BOPS. I'd been looking into being a BJCP judge for a while, but this was a nice introduction to the process. I just need to find a beer judging test somewhere close.

I think they still need to get a couple of the ribbons back from the people that got bumped up. Other than that, they are probably preparing the swag and ribbons to go out soon

I was wondering the same actually, unfortunately I just kicked the keg of the beer I won 2nd with :(

the reason sometimes a lower scored beer will take the table is because the person that entered the beer didn't necessarily enter it in the correct category. So while the beer was a sub average helles bock, it would have been an amazing maibock, or something similar. So yeah, it didn't score well in the category it was entered in, but was a damn good beer and should have taken the table.

At least that's my understanding of how that works anyway.

This is not how it works. Beers that make it to the mini best of show round are still judged against the style they were entered... if you entered a maibock in the wrong category it shouldn't even make it to the mini bos round...but if it did it the judges in the mini bos round should eliminate it quickly since it's not to style for what it is suppose to be.

Also, I think it should be noted that different styles of beers have different difficulties to make and expectations. I think most would agree that an average big Imperial Stout should be a pretty good beer because it is so big and powerful that it might overcome shortcomings in fermentation, recipe, balance, etc. However, an oatmeal stout or sweet stout requires more balance and finesse to make well, so in that respect maybe the judges will give credit to a sweet stout that scores a 35 when all the others were in the 20's over a RIS that scored a 38 over a field in the low to mid 30's.

Another alternative is if 2 beers get similar scores 34 vs 38, but 1 beer got better scores for flavor and overall impression, whereas the other was a point or two better in mouthfeel, aroma, and appearance. In my mind, the beer that tastes better should be the winner even if it isn't as technically perfect, especially when it pertains to inproper carbonation. Undercarbonating a beer will drastically diminish aroma, appearance and mouthfeel which can take 5-10 points off of a beer that was otherwise better. If you have the perfect recipe and process but mess up carbonation, your score takes a huge hit for something that is sometimes an afterthought for me.

I'm just going on what a judge had told me. Maybe there is what "should" happen and what "does" happen? I don't know. I have no desire to get into the certification for judging. Like I said, just going on what I was told.

this shouldn't be the case either. Each beer should be judged TO STYLE. In the mini-bos each beer should be to style. The difference comes down to intangibles alot of times. Sometimes there will be a miss by a paid of judges and a not to style beer makes it to mini-bos. So what judges should be looking for in mini-bos and bos are beers that fit their style the best. Not which beer is harder to make or tastes better to them.

Anyone enter the SCH*ABC?
(raises hand) Me!!! I've got three entries in that one.

1. White House Honey Porter
2. Cluster Pale Ale
3. Monk Melee II Saison (brewed for the Monk Melee II on Dec. 1st, but I wanted to get an early indicator on it.)

How about you?

I entered some beers into that one too, we're planning on going to Appalachian for the results. It's a slightly bigger comp than HOPS BOPS. When I placed my entries the Monday before the deadline, there were 300 entered.

Alt
Hefe
Kolsch
Homegrown Hop IPA
Bourbon Barrel Aged RIS

I have a white IPA, ordinary bitter, and pumpkin ale entered

I entered some beers into that one too, we're planning on going to Appalachian for the results. It's a slightly bigger comp than HOPS BOPS. When I placed my entries the Monday before the deadline, there were 300 entered.

Alt
Hefe
Kolsch
Homegrown Hop IPA
Bourbon Barrel Aged RIS
Good luck to all. :mug:

I was going to enter the Monk Melee, but I just found out that all entries must be delivered in person...the closest drop off point is 54 miles from me....one way. I don't think this one is that important to me.

I entered the following.

Root Cellar Helles
Great Harvest Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Citra IPA
Funky Saison (entered as a Geuze, 50/50 wild yeast)
Pine Pale Ale (this is actually my wife's recipe, it was her Queen of the Hops contest beer)

My Citra IPA placed 3rd in the category, it scored a 36. My Helles also scored a 36 but didn't place this time around. Sadly, my Imperial Pumpkin Ale didn't do very well. It recently came in 2nd at a Pumpkin Only competition among 20 beers, this time around it didn't score that well.

they haven't posted the results yet, so I have no idea how any of mine did. fingers crossed. Actually, the score and feedback is more important to me than placing, but placing is nice because it gives me something to brag to my ****** nozzle brother in law about. :rockin:

Took first in the English pale ale category, haven't gotten my score sheets back yet. Was the same beer that took third in hops bops comp

Third in Belgian & French...my Porter and Pale Ale didn't place (both very good beers and probably received good scores, just not good enough). Can't wait to see the scoresheets.

Dukeman9988 said:
Nope nothing yet. To be honest I don't have much faith in them coming either.

Nothing here yet. I'm hoping to also hear more about the Philly Beer Week event next May/June. Supposedly I qualified for that but I don't see a lot of info yet. I know I will need to brew again so that I have enough beer to pour.... Anyone done that one before?

My Citra IPA placed 3rd in the category, it scored a 36. My Helles also scored a 36 but didn't place this time around. Sadly, my Imperial Pumpkin Ale didn't do very well. It recently came in 2nd at a Pumpkin Only competition among 20 beers, this time around it didn't score that well.
Congrats on the Citra. I'll bet the Imperial Pumpkin is awesome, too. I've noticed that subjectiveness plays a part in these comps. All that really matters is whether or not you enjoy it. Medals are great, but I don't want to be stuck with a first place beer that I don't really like.

EDIT: I think Driver is referring to Hops Bops. I haven't received my medal from that, either. Apparently, it was a real mess. I'm still not convinced that they sent me the right score sheet, but they say they did....and now the beer is gone.....and it was pretty awesome.

Congrats on the Citra. I'll bet the Imperial Pumpkin is awesome, too. I've noticed that subjectiveness plays a part in these comps. All that really matters is whether or not you enjoy it. Medals are great, but I don't want to be stuck with a first place beer that I don't really like.

EDIT: I think Driver is referring to Hops Bops. I haven't received my medal from that, either. Apparently, it was a real mess. I'm still not convinced that they sent me the right score sheet, but they say they did....and now the beer is gone.....and it was pretty awesome.

I see, I didn't enter Hops Bops and now I'm glad I missed it. What a fiasco.

Nothing here yet. I'm hoping to also hear more about the Philly Beer Week event next May/June. Supposedly I qualified for that but I don't see a lot of info yet. I know I will need to brew again so that I have enough beer to pour.... Anyone done that one before?

what exactly are you talking about?

and no! :p

They had them ready to pick up before the announcements even, if you went to Appalacian. Very well organized.

They had them ready to pick up before the announcements even, if you went to Appalacian. Very well organized.

That's refreshing to hear, so many of these comps seem to fail at getting the brewers results in a timely (less than 1 or 2 months) manner. I know there are a lot of entries, but with the $5 - $6 fee per, all contests should run as smooth as the Stone Creek one did.

SCAHBC was amazing in how fast they got their score sheets out! They shipped my medals, Score Sheets and other swag (DVD, and T-shirt) out to me within 8 days of the competition! Never entered my beer in any other formal competitions before, but still thought that was pretty amazing!

Back