Are you fit or fat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
In the last 5 months I've really started getting fit and lowering what was a high blood pressure reading, and as a result, I've drank a LOT less beer in order to meet my lessened caloric demand. Obviously there will be more room for beer in a maintenance phase but I'm just wondering who else on this forum is getting fit?

This guy. I had a round of illness, drugs, and finally corrective surgery on my sinuses that trashed my workout schedule for about nine months. I'm just now getting started on rebuilding a base. Also back to no more than one beer on weeknights, at least until I don't feel quite so flabby.

Plus, I've been making low ABV beers lately to change things up :)

:mug:I am also. Lost about 60#s trying to get off B.P. meds. Hate taking them. Just started back brewing again after about 7 years though, sowill probaly gain it all back.

I only drink beer on the weekends, and even then only one at a time (more of a wine drinker).

Enjoying beer doesn't mean you have to drink a case every night.

i'm pretty fit (22 bmi) and have 1-3 beers most nights. i rarely eat dessert or seconds so that i can save my calories for beer

I am losing my extra pounds through marathon training. It's amazing how much you can eat and drink when you run 13 miles and burn almost 2000 calories doing it.

I'm a bit heavy right now. 6' and around 230lbs. A few short years ago I was right around 190-200. I was also riding a bicycle a considerable distance at least twice a week.

I would like to loose another 20 pounds. I drink 2 beers a night, most nights. Sometimes less, very rarely more. I don't drink soda or eat deserts.

one problem i have is after a workout, i want beer but i know i need to drink water to rehydrate. so if i'm working out a lot, i drink less beer for that reason

I am getting fit-ish. I HATE to exercise, I was in the military and feel like I have done more than my fair share. This is not lazyness I just dislike the "lack of fun" it is for me. I also do not weigh myself because I do not care. I will weigh what I weigh. I am going to share how I am loosing weight and getting in shape.

BEER:
A few months ago my wife was diagnosed with diabetes, not severe but she was prescribed some meds which she did take for all of 2 weeks. She is now off the meds and her A1C (blood sugar average) is that of a normal persons. While this is good we found that homebrew was causing her blood sugar to spike. I now make diabetic friendly beer. link to that thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/diabetic-friendly-beer-trials-ae-disscusion-314858/ While this does not remove calories it does lower the carbs. Also most of these brews are 5% ABV or less. I do not count my beer intake against anything because I am going to drink as much as I will. Nothing is going to change that fact however I do not drink beer everyday. I live in the land of binge drinkers and that is how it happens.

DIET:
The other non-beer related things we did was a MASSIVE diet and lifestyle change. Since I was getting big and was not going to cook 2 separate meals for us to eat things individually, I went on the diet by default. This is it in a nut shell:
- There is nothing with real sugar or corn syrup in it, in our home, unless it is in fruit/veggies naturally. When we are forced to buy foods that have sugars we get the kind that has the lowest amount. READ LABELS. This is not as easy to do as it sounds. As a rule if a serving would have 10 sugars or more we do not get that item.
- We count carbs. 3 - 30 carb or less meals and 2 - 15 carb snacks a day.
- Eat seafood 2 times a week (We have been really doing this 1 time but aim at 2.)
- Plate portions. We cheat a little on this but we aim to have cooked meat be the size of a deck of cards, green veggies or salad take up 1/2 the plate and then we have a side of a different veggies or mushrooms.
If this was not all that complex I have a bad food allergy. I am allergic to everything in the nightshade family so we never buy potatoes, eggplant or any pepper other than black peppercorns and the wife gets tomatoes. If I eat any of those foods I bleed through my skin, in tiny little droplets and/or get small bumps and itch like crazy. Potatoes are the worst offender and in the winter months I am more susceptible to the allergy, I can not even eat foods from a deep frier because there was french fries in the oil. Needless to say eating out is an EPIC undertaking for us so it is done VERY seldom.

The wife is down 26 pounds and I have gone down 2 pant sizes from this diet alone. This was not a miraculous weight drop it was slow over the last few months. I did not just wake up one day and found I was overweight, it happened slowly so I do not expect to loose it at a crazy fast rate.

EXERCISE:
The wife started to take Zumba classes and is now starting hooping (Hula hooping and Zumba mixed). She loves to go to the classes and does so about twice a week. I however have no interest in that at all so I have not been exercising.

I recently have joined a local foam fighting group and have been to 2 practices this week and am CRAZY happy about the game. I am not the oldest player but most of these people are collage age. We use DIY weapons/shields that are harder than Nerf weapons that are inspected and are deemed safe before every battle day. We also follow a strict safety first policy. We wear period clothes (or try to) and that is where the "role playing" ends. This is a fighting game not a RP game. I have no interest in RP so this was a perfect fit for me and it has given me a bunch of new DIY projects.

I have never run, jumped, swung, and taken/exchanged hits so much in my life and short of a few activities I would rank this with the most exhausting things I have ever done.

DISCLAIMER:
This is working for me and mine. Your results may vary and not all diet lifestyle style change will work for everyone. Dropping weight fast is unhealthy and can be dangerous. I wish all those trying to get and stay fit the best in their fitness regime, whatever that may be.

:mug:

I’d like to say I am fit AND fat, but I know it leans more to the latter. I play pickup basketball for about 1 ½ to 2 hours, four times a week, and walk the dog frequently. But I also weigh around 220 at 6 foot 0 inches, so I know I have some extra weight that I could definitely afford to loose.

I’ve been brewing lower calorie beers as well. For instance, Beersmith calculates my Brown Trout Stout (“American” Mild) and Amarillo Blonde at around 150 calories per pint. I figure even if I have two of those it’s about the same as one big DIPA or Barleywine that I used to drink all the time.

I am 5'-10" and I weighted 233lbs. I needed to change my lifestyle to a more healthy one so I just started the Atkins diet two weeks ago. I have also been walking for an hour each day and I am down to 221lbs already.
I didn't have a beer for the first two weeks but I had a few over the weekend.
The further I progress I can add a beer or two when I want them I just can't over do it. I'm not a big drinker so It doesn't bother me to go without for a while.
Doesn't stop me from brewing though and that makes my friends happy.
I will keep walking and/or working out so I can drink and eat what I want without getting out of control.

I like to think of myself as a skinny fat guy.

5'10", 190 lbs... Love to cook, eat, and drink beer; hate to work out. Also, i'm not much of a breakfast guy, so not eating it messes up my metabolism for the day, and lunch gets oversized accordingly.

That being said, for my tastes, grabbing some type of pre-made shake in the morning has helped correct the metabolism thing, and I did get a 100# heavy bag and some new gloves (Thank you for the inspiration, Rocky marathon!). I dont seem to be losing weight, but the wife keeps saying i look thinner. And i do like hitting that bag!

Somewhere in between. 6'5", 245#. While 245 is a big number, I'm slender at 225 and rail-thin at 210, so I'd like to lose 15 pounds and stay under 230 to be where I really want.

I did recently complete a diet that took me from 275 to 240 over a few months, but I've let it wane once I hit 240. Need to get back on track ASAP, but work & family stress just kill the willpower :(

I'd rather run an extra mile than cut back on beer. I don't overeat and i train and take care of horses during the day so i'm pretty active even when i'm not "working out."
Going to the gym sucks. It's a soul crushing and boring endeavor. The people are weird. The vibe is bad. It sucks.
I've learned to mix it up so i don't get burnt out. Swimming, playing tennis, hiking, basketball, or even just a walk with the family after dinner is better than nothing. I wish i had a boat, cuz nothing destroys you like a day of tubing, skiing, swimming, and wakeboarding. Gotta make it fun.

After 1.5 years of brewing I gained 20+ pounds. In January I started P90X2 and mixed in some Insanity and running and dropped 27 lbs down to 176. I drank very little during the P90X2 time and brewed even less. I'm back on the brewing/drinking wagon now. I just have to keep a close eye on things and maintain the workout schedule. In the last month, many a beers have crossed my lips and I've been able to maintain my weight.

Fairly fit. 5'7 155. Do full body lifts, 2 times a week, occasional cardio. Eat 1700 calories a day. Can bench my weight and do 13 pullups in a row. All the way down and all the way up. Couldn't do one two years ago.

I was at 230 two years ago. That was FAT on short guy. Took control and on my way to a six pack for my Honeymoon in May. I don't really drink at all during the week. Have 2 or 3 a day on the weekends. Once the honeymoon is over I'll get a bit more lax and enjoy a beer more but still with in reason. Don't ever want to get back to that weight.

It doesnt matter what you eat or drink(in reference to weight not overall health) as long as your doing something to burn calories and sweat off the extra water weight. I boxed for about 8 years, and as you can tell by the reoccurring theme on this thread, the more active you are the more your body will want and need the calories. I dont intend on getting fat in my life, and I dont intend to stop drinking either. I know this so I accommodate a balance to allow me both. I drink however much I want whenever I want... do I go to a gym? No way, I make sure to wake up and do at least 20 pushups or pull-ups + bridges or isometric pushups/ a few walks a week. Most people would be amazingly surprised how much more fit they could be if they just took 5-10 mins a day to do some pullups and bridges. The crux of it all is that you have to take the initiative upon yourself and be consistent about it. No one can make you do it, you have to "be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi

I'm in decent shape. I work out 4-5 times a week and stick to a specific diet six days a week. I normally only drink on the weekends and usually 1-3 beers per night. Recently I've been going out a little more so I've been drinking a few more. I need to do some extra workouts to burn off the extra few pounds I've put on the past month from many celebrations and vacations.

KeyWestBrewing said:
It doesnt matter what you eat or drink(in reference to weight not overall health) as long as your doing something to burn calories and sweat off the extra water weight. I boxed for about 8 years, and as you can tell by the reoccurring theme on this thread, the more active you are the more your body will want and need the calories. I dont intend on getting fat in my life, and I dont intend to stop drinking either. I know this so I accommodate a balance to allow me both. I drink however much I want whenever I want... do I go to a gym? No way, I make sure to wake up and do at least 20 pushups or pull-ups + bridges or isometric pushups/ a few walks a week. Most people would be amazingly surprised how much more fit they could be if they just took 5-10 mins a day to do some pullups and bridges. The crux of it all is that you have to take the initiative upon yourself and be consistent about it. No one can make you do it, you have to "be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi

+1

I'm not nearly as consistent as I'd like, but I'm fairly fit. I just had a physical last week for a life insurance app. I am 41 years old, 6'00", 168lbs. at 14% body fat. My wife is a great cook and we don't eat a lot processed foods or sweets. I get regular exercise, but I will go through P90x about once every two years when I feel I'm slipping. I wish I was better/more consistent with maintenance, but all things considered, I think I'm doing pretty well. We'll see how that holds up when our twins arrive in the fall.

I've got fit once my girlfriend's got pregnant with our first kid.

I didn't want to be the dad who stays on the park ben watching his kids play. I wanted to be the dad who was running and jumpinmg everywhere playing with his kids.

My tricks :

Water is almost all I drink (except a beer a day). It's awful the number of calories that pop provides and it doesn't even fill you up.

Cheese is almost out of my diet. Those 2 slices in a subway 6" are worth a beer. I'd rather have a beer ;)

Finally, maths. It's all about maths. If you eat more then you spend, you store some in the form of fat. If you eat less then what you spend, you'll use your reserves. I've used myfitnesspal to keep the count and with a little good will, I've turned from a fat fu** to be very fit :)

Was 180 about 2 months ago. Started to workout but not on a consistent bases. The most important thing is your diet. I now weigh 170 with is a good weight formula size 5'6 but could go down a bit. In no way do u I think I'm fat just need to lose the belly that was getting out of control. I eat every three hours five times(small portion sizes and snacks in between meals) a day and have a beer every day. I still want to lose like five pounds and I'll be happy with my weight

I'm 6'2" and weigh roughly 180 lbs. I eat fairly healthy, and run a 5k (3.2 mi) every day after work. I drink about a beer a night, and tend to skip a couple days a week drinking.

At the beginning of March I was in great shape. I began homebrewing and since then I've been sliding the other direction. The killer was adding a two taps in my basement.

I've got to set up a new date with Tony Horton!

I'm far stronger than I look so I would say fit, but most people would call me skinny.

I'm fat and happy to admit it. Nobody made me fat except me- losing some weight now, but it's slow going. Beer doesn't help, but I try to fit it into the calories.

Fit- sort of. I watch what I eat and drink only coffee, beer or wine. I work out 5-6 times a week for about 45 minutes but those 45 minutes are very intense. I'm down 26 lbs from the worst I've ever been to 180 and have maintained this for a few months. I am only 5'10" and have been as low as 174 but my body wouldn't hold there. I am happy at 180, wouldn't mind being lower but not going to stress because even at 180 I am pretty close to a 6 pack. Hopefully that comes back if I drop another 5 lbs. If I do, it'll be on my own time. I think I am active enough.

I kinda look like this. Well, not exactly; I have short hair.

thor.JPG

Back